View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Chris Hitchens: Esophageal Cancer
Hypatia
This is terrible - Christopher Hitchens has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

http://www.huffin...31429.html
Christopher Hitchens has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

The Vanity Fair and Slate columnist and author of recent memoir Hitch 22 recently suspended his book tour for what was described as "personal reasons."

Now, he reveals in a statement:

I have been advised by my physician that I must undergo a course of chemotherapy on my esophagus. This advice seems persuasive to me. I regret having had to cancel so many engagements at such short notice.
Hitchens, a well-known smoker, attempted in 2008 to quit but reportedly still smokes, according to a recent Washington Post article.

Developing...

Skeeve
Hope they found it early. He may end up like Ebert. Frown
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
That's horrible news. I hope it was caught early too. If his voice is soon stilled, I just might believe in a vindictive God.

BTW, I really miss Roger Ebert, along with the the late Gene Siskel, on At the Movies. If they were still running it, it might not be going off the arir in August. I still like it, but those guys were irreplaceable.
Edited by catman on 07/01/2010 01:09

derF
Major bummer. I know that Hitchens rubbed many people (even ones that agreed with him) the wrong way. And I know that many that despised him for his positions will be rejoicing at this diagnosis but . . . The man is brilliant. And he is an atheist. Not only is he an atheist but he isn't afraid to let the whole world know. And being a close friend of Salman Rushdie he knows the possible repercussions of doing so. But, the man never thought about his own well being when having many of his anti religious views publicized. He even went after the not so holy Mother Theresa for crying out loud. We should all be so courageous. As, I believe, Hitchens will be in his battle with cancer.

Edited to add one crappy comma and erase one asinine apostrophe for crying out loud. Believe it or not.
Edited by derF on 07/01/2010 01:20
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
catman wrote:
That's horrible news. I hope it was caught early too. If his voice is soon stilled, I just might believe in a vindictive God.

BTW, I really miss Roger Ebert, along with the the late Gene Siskel, on At the Movies. If they were still running it, it might not be going off the arir in August. I still like it, but those guys were irreplaceable.

Quite agreed, on all counts Cat.

derF wrote:

Major bummer. I know that Hitchens rubbed many people (even ones that agreed with him) the wrong way. And I know that many that despised him for his positions will be rejoicing at this diagnosis but . . . The man is brilliant. And he is an atheist. Not only is he an atheist but he isn't afraid to let the whole world know. And being a close friend of Salman Rushdie he knows the possible repercussions of doing so. But, the man never thought about his own well being when having many of his anti religious views publicized. He even went after the not so holy Mother Theresa for crying out loud. We should all be so courageous. As, I believe, Hitchens will be in his battle with cancer.

I can hear it now, everything from 'NOW he has a reason to HATE gawd' to the Westboro version of 'gawd smites gays and atheists'. I wouldn't really be surprised, but I hope no one will go that low. I know it would really piss me off for someone to say anything like that.

I've always liked Hitchens and his 'style', so to speak, and have never been rubbed the wrong way by him - I like it that he doesn't tip-toe around whatever the situation or topic is and that instead of putting on airs he seems to just be himself = and that's what you get. I like that, but that kind of thing also bothers some people, besides what he says rubbing people the wrong way. (Good, I like it when theists are bothered by what atheists (especially prominent atheists) are saying).

This diagnosis is really sad, and yeah, I hope it was found early too. It would be tragic for Hitchens' voice to be silenced in any manner and I hope the treatment will be successful and it won't come to that at all.

Bob of QF
Sad news indeed.

Even worse, is you can bet the bank, there will be nasty comments from the fundie-crowd.

Starting off with a snide "see?"....

<puke>

In fact? I will bet that Pat Robertson makes a nasty comment directly on the air about it-- which will "break the ice" and eventually, you'll hear snide jokes on The Tonight Show (Leno is religious AFAIK), along the lines of "Hitchens will soon meet the god he doesn't believe in" or worse.

Sad-- and although I did not see eye-to-eye with Hitchen's political views, I did appreciate that he used reason when presenting them, rather than emotional tripe.

I also appreciated his personal honesty. Something in short supply these days-- at least among the people who are regularly in front of the media's cameras....

<sigh>

I hope modern scientific based medicine can help him beat this one-- but even if unsuccessful, it would still be a testament to science and reason over magic (prayers) and superstition (religion).
Edited by Bob of QF on 07/01/2010 09:54
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
'Praying for Christopher Hitchens'

http://www.huffin...46304.html

derF
Very touching. I didn't believe the guy but at least he was being kind. Praying for Christopher Hitchens is like sponsoring a Turkey Shoot to raise funds for anti gun legislation.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
From Chris Hitchens, on cancer:

http://www.vanity...ens-201009

Since the first time I read anything Hitchens I've liked his writing style, and his 'delivery methods'. This is the first and only article I've read where he talks about having cancer and treatment. What many of those who have wished him ill will will fail to recognize, or even acknowledge if they do, is that Chris Hitchens was already a living example of living a life based on reason and rationality, before he got cancer. They won't want to acknowledge that the ways he has been dealing with this ordeal are a continuation of living exactly what he believes in.

the last paragraph:
These are my first raw reactions to being stricken. I am quietly resolved to resist bodily as best I can, even if only passively, and to seek the most advanced advice. My heart and blood pressure and many other registers are now strong again: indeed, it occurs to me that if I didn’t have such a stout constitution I might have led a much healthier life thus far. Against me is the blind, emotionless alien, cheered on by some who have long wished me ill. But on the side of my continued life is a group of brilliant and selfless physicians plus an astonishing number of prayer groups. On both of these I hope to write next time if—as my father invariably said—I am spared.

Hypatia
http://friendlyat...-hitchens/
Edited by Hypatia on 08/08/2010 02:15

catman
Prayer groups, eh? I'll be they feel all sanctimonoius about praying for a famous atheist. His comment about them seemed muted (for him).

Hypatia
The latest (?) from Hitch:

http://www.vanity...ntPage=all

Jump to Forum: