View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » My precious!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Question for anyone with veterinary knowledge.
Max
I am posting this around on various sites. If anyone knows anything about this or can point me to an active site that deals with veterinary medicine, I'd appreciate it.

My family has a three year old Irish wolfhound with a strange problem. He will start shaking uncontrollably at certain times. The shaking is most pronounced in his paws, often causing him to raise one paw and shake it rapidly. Often if he is lying down, touching him, approaching him, or even making a noise will start him shaking. He also shakes when he sees food he wants to eat, or when urinating or defecating. Sometimes he does not seem to be able to get comfortable when lying down, and will continuously wander around, lie down, then immediately get back up again. We took him to the vet once, and the vet thought it might have something to do with his spine, as the vet touched a part of our dog's back, and sure enough he started shaking.

I would also like to add that he didn't do this when he was a puppy, at least to my knowledge. Does anyone know what it is that causes him to do this? Other than this, he is perfectly healthy. Thank you.

Bob of QF
Alas, I do not know of a vet internet site I know without a doubt is trustworthy, but it certainly sounds neurological.

Or some form of doggy muscular dystrophy or ALS? (akin to Michael J Fox's illness)

However.

Veterinarians near you is a vet finder engine:
http://www.vetsne...sgodamsZyg

Another find a local vet:
http://www.yext.c...

US Dept of Labor has a site, with some links:
http://www.bls.go...cos076.htm

Here's an online 'Ask a Veterinarian', where you may post your pet's symptoms:
http://www.drlarr...

The Humane society's guide to choosing a vet:
http://www.humane...arian.html

And lastly, http://www.vetweb...

Good Luck!

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Max: That is most unsettling. Best of luck with your unfortunate dog!

Theory_Execution
The only thing I know of that has similar symptoms but is more prolonged is a result of dog breeding to make smaller dogs. Where the skull is selected to be small, meaning increased pressure on the brain and small epileptic like fits occur. But for such a big dog, and as you describe small shaking, I doubt this is anything like that.

Best luck with it though.

Hypatia
Max wrote:
I am posting this around on various sites. If anyone knows anything about this or can point me to an active site that deals with veterinary medicine, I'd appreciate it.

My family has a three year old Irish wolfhound with a strange problem. He will start shaking uncontrollably at certain times. The shaking is most pronounced in his paws, often causing him to raise one paw and shake it rapidly. Often if he is lying down, touching him, approaching him, or even making a noise will start him shaking. He also shakes when he sees food he wants to eat, or when urinating or defecating. Sometimes he does not seem to be able to get comfortable when lying down, and will continuously wander around, lie down, then immediately get back up again. We took him to the vet once, and the vet thought it might have something to do with his spine, as the vet touched a part of our dog's back, and sure enough he started shaking.

I would also like to add that he didn't do this when he was a puppy, at least to my knowledge. Does anyone know what it is that causes him to do this? Other than this, he is perfectly healthy. Thank you.

Max, very sorry your little guy is suffering these symptoms. I agree with Bob that it sounds as though it's something neurological.

I hope you've been able to find some information that is telling and helpful, or better yet, someone who has been able to identify the cause of your pups problem.

About 20 years ago I had a Pekingese whose back legs, when she was eating or drinking from her dishes (and other times too), would rise off the ground and raise up above the level of her back, so she'd be standing on just her two front legs. It looked like there was an invisible hand holding her back end up by the tail. After a minute or two her legs would slowly go back down, and at first her walking was a little wobbly. But it progressed to where when her legs would go back down, she couldn't walk on them anymore - they'd just drag behind her, or flop from side to side when she ran. It was so bizarre.

I took her to several vets, none of whom could determine exactly what was wrong or how it happened, but they did think it was probably a spinal cord injury of some kind. One or two of those vets wanted to do an outrageously expensive surgery involving her spine - I can't remember now just what it was they wanted to do. But the % rate of success wasn't at all impressive, the procedure was totally invasive, and with wondering why they'd want to do that kind of surgery when they weren't even sure what was wrong, I couldn't see putting her through that. So, I didn't have it done.

I was finally exhausted and frustrated from trying to find someone who could DX and help her. My great aunt suggested I take the dog to her chiropractor, which I did (remember, I was desperate!). That doctor said he thought the problem was definitely the spinal cord, and that there could be a major impingement of a nerve(s), or that some kind of injury could have happened to cause a type of trauma to the cord in which swelling, etc. could be the root of the problem.

Since getting my spinal cord injury I now understand that really well! I've experienced the kind of havoc swelling of the cord can cause, and of course the level of the swelling/injury determines what part of the body is affected and to what extent.

The chiropractor did some adjustments on her and then gave me a white homeopathic powder to put in her drinking water. By this time many months had passed with no one offering any treatment options other than the surgery.

I put the powder in her drinking water every day, and I also began daily hydro and range of motion therapy with her. I didn't want her leg muscles to atrophy, so two or three times a day I'd put her in a little tub of warm water and exercise her legs.

Now, I don't put any stock in homeopathy, and I've never thought the powder was what helped her recover. But after the visit to the chiropractor and beginning therapy at home, over the course of about two or three months she slowly regained the use of her legs. We couldn't even tell she'd had any problem.

My guess is that over time, eventually, say when the cord swelling went down, if there was any, she would have regained the use of the legs. I think the therapy was essential, but again, I have no way of telling if it had anything or nothing to do with her recovering.

So by now you're no doubt wondering why I've told you this long story - lol. I guess my point is this - it may get frustrating trying to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment for your dog, but keep looking and don't give up. Hopefully he will be as resilient as my dog was and with some time will recover.

Smile

Theory_Execution
I think if homeopathy has any benefit at all, it would only be through the placebo effect, which relies on the persons belief that the water (or else) is actually capable of doing any good. Which further relies on conditioning to the worth of medicine/treatment in general.

A dog would not have this conditioning nor understanding - so it must have been the manipulation of the joints and exercise.

Hypatia
I know that with human SCI there is sometimes an occurrence of what is called 'return', where anywhere from a few months to even several years after there has been trauma to the cord an amount of return of function of the affected area of the body can occur. The amount of return could range from the slightest bit of improvement of senses or control of movement to complete improvement of senses or control

These traumas can be caused by anything from disease and disorders to accidental trauma - but to the cord, of course, it doesn't know one type of trauma from another, it's all just trauma. And with some things like diseases that may cause swelling in the cord, for example, there can be eventual healing and return to 'normal' function as part of the natural course of the disease process.

So, I'm certain the ROM exercising was beneficial in that it helped keep her muscles toned and from having spasticity. But it's reasonable to think the same kind of spontaneous healing might happen with a dog too, so maybe that would have happened anyway. *shrug*

Hypatia
Max wrote:

I wonder if it might be an impinged nerve?

Kowboy
Max:

You may be looking in the wrong place. Try some Irish Wolfhound breeders. Breeders know a heck of a lot.

Max
Thanks to all who posted. I tried asking on a veterinary medicine forum, but unfortunately no response. I guess I'll keep going around and asking. Also I saw this as a good opportunity to make a post and see how everyone was doing.

Jump to Forum: