View Thread

Print Thread
Here I am
Doubting Thomas
I tried to log onto the atheists.com site today and found it MIA... so I searched around and found this forum with many of the old names I remember. Guess I should try checking in more often.

kjbluez
Welcome, Doubting Thomas, I recognize your name from the old site.

I am the same way, I spend long periods without checking in and then find out everything has changed when I finally do check in.

Doubting Thomas
Well I just got back from visiting my sister & her family to find that they're very active in their church & are quite the hardcore Catholics. So I needed to come back to the atheist's haven only to find it gone. I hope the same doesn't occur here.

RayvenAlandria
Awww...poor thing. Pull up a seat and we'll blaspheme until you're feeling all better.

I'm glad you made your way to this site DT. Welcome back, although this is a new site, not the old one, but you know what I mean. Pfft

Hypatia
DT - so good to 'see' you again, and you too kjbluez.

Since Atheists.com shut down some of us have been kind of looking for members to let them know about first CD's site, AtheistAlliance.net (which is no longer), and now Skeeve's site, so they'd know where to find those of us who've come here.

Thanks Skeeve and CD for linking folks who try to connect to AtheistAlliance.net to this site.

catman
DT: Good to see a post from you! I'm glad you found us. Atheists.com was sold out from under Majorbytes to a gang of Turks.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
Welcome DT

Skeeve
DT, good to see you again! Smile
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Sinny
Doubting Thomas welcome back. Sheesh I'm sorry to hear about your sister and her family but I'm sure I have a good idea of how you felt and what you went through. My sister is a BAC born again christian as well as her husband and children. Though my nephews aren't as into it as my sister and BIL are.

Hey more smileys Smile

neilmarr
Wotcher, Thomas. Great to have your company again. Hope the AtheistsToday therapy helps you over the Catholic trauma. Hoots. Neil

Doubting Thomas
Thanks, all. My sister has always been religious, but her husband not so. Now he considers himself a born-again catholic and they seem to be really into religion. That's fine for them, I guess, since they can have it. They don't know I'm an atheist. At least they're not real fanatical about it and we had a pleasant visit. Maybe I'm just a little too oversensitive when people talk about church matters & religion, but it's hard for me to not roll my eyes.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
.... but it's hard for me to not roll my eyes.

Tell me about it! :lol:
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Max
Welcome back.

Doubting Thomas
I think maybe I am a bit too senistive. People talking about their church or faith shouldn't elicit such negative responses in me, but I think it's just the fact that I can't be open with my atheism and that I would get looks of disdain from people if I said that I didn't believe in their god that makes me want to hurl when someone talks about religion.

seeker
That'r my big problem with it. In our society its okay for people to talk about their crazy beliefs but rationality is taboo.

catman
As I not so gracefully age, I care progressively less about whether anyone is offended by my atheism.
Edited by catman on 08/24/2008 14:44
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Ditto and double ditto.

If anyone doesn't like that I'm atheist at least I'm helping to make those that need it to become aware of 'our' presence and to hopefully put some thoughts of atheism, in some way or other, into their 'minds'.

catman
I doubt that I'm thought of as a good example of what is 'right' or 'desirable' in society, but I am not going to pander to theists. If they can't handle it, too bad. I don't go out of my way to tell them how wrong I think they are, and I expect the same courtesy.

Sinny
DT when I think about it why should anyone talk about their religion unless they are expressing a new found hobby or if not trying to then at least attempting to convert someone to their religion.

With friends and family getting together it's normal to say what's new in thier lives so I could see saying something like we joined a new church and like it, met so and so, etc. But with my friends and family members it was you must believe this or you will burn in hell, you must accept the christ or you will be left behind and satan is out to get us all. You belong in church, you need fellowship and so on. Looks like so far you got off a little easy this time DT but it won't last if catholics are taught to witness.

I'd be leary of telling them I'm atheist even if they don't witness to you DT. You don't want to be outcasted in your family by people you love. Remember like they say love the sinner but hate the sin well I say love the xtian, religious person but hate the brainwashing, ignorance, insecurity, discrimination towards anyone who's not like them and of course the witnessing Wink

I saw on another forum where this 16 yr old kid was thrown out of the house on the street by his parents when he let them know he was atheist. Later on he got cancer and went for surgery and not one family member visited him. Not even his parents. How sad and selfish is that Sad Add that to the fact that he has no health insurance so he has to pay for all of his medical bills on his own. He's a little older now but it's been really rough for him. I always tell kids don't tell until you graduate college and/or move out on your own for good.

Catman, I know what you mean. Let's face it the older we get the braver get, the less we worry or give two hootnannies. We've been there, done that and don't sweat the small stuff.

Hey I think I might have made a two pager here. ;rolling;

Doubting Thomas
Well it's not my desire to tell many of my family members, but if they want to distance themselves from me, then that's their loss. We don't get together that much any more, so I won't feel too outcast. But at this point only a sister knows that I don't believe and that was a few years ago, she probably just thought I was going through a phase or something.

It's not really someone talking to me about religion, it's usually just something I'll hear in passage, like my wife talking about not being able to get pregnant yet and someone saying "It will happen if God wants it to happen" or stuff like that. Or like the recent conversations with my sister & her family to see what's been going on in their lives. They think I'm still going to church so they didn't try to preach to me.

Jump to Forum: