View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Jesus, Hemp Leaf or Peace Sign Toaster
Hypatia
I have no doubt people will actually part with their money to burn these images onto their toast.

http://specials.m...%20toaster

Search: Company offers 'Jesus Toaster'

A small company in Vermont has produced a toaster that burns the image of Jesus Christ onto every slice of your daily bread. Burnt Impressions, LLC also offers Hemp Leaf and Peace Sign models and hopes to add two more religious-themed versions.

Is this where it all started? http://www.roadsi...tory/10166

Shrine of the Miracle Tortilla

Lake Arthur, New Mexico

No one realized at the time, but the 1977 appearance of Jesus Christ on a flour tortilla set the international standard for miracle sightings. Once confined to obscure grotto appearances, the Tortilla was the crossover miracle that put God in the Extra Value Meal of the average American.

Now, no object is too outrageous for an Almighty (or Virgin Mary) cameo. He's materialized on a Pizza Hut billboard in a plate of spaghetti; on a bowling alley chimney; reflected from a porch light onto a car bumper (until the light was turned off and the car moved); on a diner place mat; and even on a dead priest's shoe.

But the Miracle Tortilla was the first to fully wrap around the collective pop subconscious.

In October of 1977, Maria Rubio was rolling up a burrito for her husband Eduardo's breakfast, when she noticed a thumb-sized configuration of skillet burns on the tortilla that resembled the face of Jesus. Needless to say, Eduardo went hungry that meal as Maria told family and neighbors of the miraculous event. It happened in the small town of Lake Arthur, New Mexico, 40 minutes south of Roswell.

Space Alien fever had yet to infect the state, and visitations were of a predominantly religious nature. NM's historic Chimayo Shrine, with its miracle dirt pit, drew thousands of annual visitors looking for spiritual connection to the miraculous cross that burst from the hillside in 1810. Elsewhere, statues occasionally shed a tear, or passing clouds took on the shape of the Blessed Mother.

Wide-eyed believers call them "signs."

Cranky skeptics ascribe them to a human faculty for delusion called "pareidolia," a perception of pattern and meaning from natural randomness. At the same time, scientists believe humans are hardwired to recognize facial patterns, our hunkered fore-apes' need to quickly identify foe, friend or mate. We'll perceive a familiar face in an unfamiliar place, before seeing, say, a locomotive or a cotton gin.

Despite the braying of scientists and skeptics, the Holy Tortilla quickly developed a solid fan base. By 1979, over 35,000 people had visited, bringing flowers and photos of sick loved ones.

Mrs. Rubio quit her job as a maid to attend full-time to the hastily constructed "Shrine of the Holy Tortilla" in her home. When away, she'd leave the door unlocked so that no one would be denied access.

She mounted the Tex-Mex Relic in a wooden frame under glass, a puffy wad of cotton along the bottom making it appear as if Tortilla Christ was suspended just inside the Pearly Gates.

In the wake of this first Tortilla visitation, all heaven broke loose. November 1977 -- a competing Miracle Tortilla appeared in the skillet of Phoenix housewife Ramona Barreras. It was the face of Jesus, this time accompanied by the letters K, J, C, and B, which Ramona believed stood for "King Jesus is Coming Back." According to the Phoenix New Times in 1997, the Barreras Miracle Tortilla "rests in a Plexiglas box in a kitchen drawer."

In March 1983, housewife Paula Rivera claimed the image of Jesus appeared on a corn tortilla she was making in Hidalgo Texas. She created her own "Shrine of the Holy Tortilla."

In the meantime, the faithful still traveled to Lake Arthur to see the original. Mrs. Rubio eventually moved it to a small wooden shed in the backyard. Years of merciless southwestern heat have literally fried and refried the tortilla. The image, once recognizable even in photographs, has faded to a half dozen brown spots and a wiggly burnt blotch.

There are no signs that any healings have happened recently -- no leftover crutches -- so perhaps this miracle has run its course. But Mrs. Rubio's family is perfectly happy to open up the shrine for any and all visitors....

December 2006: Disaster! In 2005, Mrs. Rubio's grandaughter took the Miracle Tortilla into school for Show and Tell, and it was dropped and broken! The shed shrine has been closed and the remains retired to a drawer in the Rubio's home.

March 2005: Slow start this year for US miracle sightings; a man in North Carolina noticed a brick in his home that looked like Jesus, and promptly headed for eBay. "Lucky" the turtle, lone survivor of a pet store fire in Indiana has an image of Satan roasted onto his back.

2004: A banner year for almighty manifestations, notably the much hyped miracle grilled cheese sandwich bearing a resemblance to the Virgin Mary; and an image of the Lord on a man's dental x-ray, above his front teeth.

'Wild-eyed believers' and 'cranky skeptics' indeed.

December 2006: Disaster! In 2005, Mrs. Rubio's grandaughter took the Miracle Tortilla into school for Show and Tell, and it was dropped and broken! The shed shrine has been closed and the remains retired to a drawer in the Rubio's home.

Oh well, must've been gawds will.
Edited by Hypatia on 09/15/2010 03:40

catman
'Pareidolia' is a new word to me.

Whoever dropped the Miracle Tortilla is destined for perdition.

Hypatia
catman wrote:
'Pareidolia' is a new word to me.

Whoever dropped the Miracle Tortilla is destined for perdition.

Yeah, to me too.

This is from the Skeptic's Dictionary http://skepdic.co...eidol.html

pareidolia

There is an universal tendency among mankind to conceive all beings like themselves, and to transfer to every object, those qualities, with which they are familiarly acquainted, and of which they are intimately conscious. We find human faces in the moon, armies in the clouds; and by a natural propensity, if not corrected by experience and reflection, ascribe malice or good- will to every thing, that hurts or pleases us. --David Hume*

Pareidolia is a type of illusion or misperception involving a vague or obscure stimulus being perceived as something clear and distinct. For example, in the discolorations of a burnt tortilla one sees the face of Jesus. Or one sees the image of Mother Teresa or Ronald Reagan in a cinnamon bun or a man in the moon.

Under ordinary circumstances, pareidolia provides a psychological explanation for many delusions based upon sense perception. For example, it explains many UFO sightings, as well as the hearing of sinister messages on records played backwards. Pareidolia explains Elvis, Bigfoot, and Loch Ness Monster sightings. It explains numerous religious apparitions and visions. And it explains why some people see a face or a building in a photograph of the Cydonia region of Mars.

Under clinical circumstances, some psychologists encourage pareidolia as a means to understanding a patient, e.g., the Rorschach ink blot test.

Astronomer Carl Sagan claimed that the human tendency to see faces in tortillas, clouds, cinnamon buns, and the like is an evolutionary trait. He writes:

As soon as the infant can see, it recognizes faces, and we now know that this skill is hardwired in our brains. Those infants who a million years ago were unable to recognize a face smiled back less, were less likely to win the hearts of their parents, and less likely to prosper. These days, nearly every infant is quick to identify a human face, and to respond with a goony grin (Sagan 1995: 45).

(Click link to read remainder of article)

Verrry interesting. Smile

catman
An interesting link. Thanks!

Bob of QF
What makes this sound science hard to take (for some) is their inability to recognize that humans are instinctual animals just as much as a bird's compulsion to winter in the south is.

Many people are uncomfortable with the idea that there are base instincts driving our motives; they like to pretend they are in control of themselves.

In truth, we are very instinctive animals-- but once you are aware of these base drives, it only takes a little effort to overcome them[instincts], if that is your wish.

Obviously, some are harder to master than others, and some all but impossible, without serious mind-programming.

I remember reading about the infant's ability to recognize faces way back in phych class.

This face recognition also includes the ability to discern happy faces versus 'frowny' faces, and the brain rewards the baby if s/he sees happy faces, and punishes if s/he sees 'frowny' faces.

This is one of the keys to learning language; as baby's brain grows, one thing it begins doing is babbling, when in the presence of faces. If the face is a real human, and baby, by random chance, utters sounds that are similar to actual words, baby receives immediate positive reinforcement. Likewise, negative reinforcement for useless or taboo utterances.

Thus begin the first footsteps to speech.

All from inbuilt instincts.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
Please Bob do not talk about our baser instincts. I for example wish to breed with all females. It is difficult for me to resist this instinct. I resist this at the peril of the species.

asicsning
An interesting link. Thanks!

MBT

Forum Admin Notice:
Spam link edited

Edited by Skeeve on 01/24/2013 09:39

Theory_Execution
Haha! It's those shoes that really fuck your back up.

If walking on bowed feet was good for us, iv no doubt the human species would have evolved to favour collapsed foot-arches, and move towards a bowed foot - but this just isn't the case.

Skeeve
lol TE clicked the link.

obvious spam is obvious Smile
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
I always check the link, obviously not from a static IP and I refuse to ever buy a product that advertises - only exception here is if I have decided prior to an advert that I want to buy it - but sometimes even then, an advert can trun me off the product.

Jump to Forum: