View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thoughts on Biden?
HolyRolyPoly
So, Obama announced this morning that Joe Biden has been selected to the veep. The pundits were suggesting this would happen for the past couple of days so I wasn't too surprised. And I'm not disappointed. I always thought Biden would be a great choice for VP or, failing that, Secretary of State. It remains to be seen what kind of "bump" this will give the democrats over the next few days. I can't imagine why any democrat would be adverse to Joe Biden, and I would like to think that he will bring in some independents and swing voters, who felt nervous over Obama's relative youth & inexperience. Certainly, the moderates/centrists who intended to hold their nose while voting for McCain will see the Obama/Biden ticket as a reasonable alternative... We can only hope.

seeker
Biden is pretty safe pick, he's been around long enough to help Obama with the experience issue and he might help settle the Hillary nuts down.

catman
I think Biden is a good pick, with his foreign relations experience. A solid selection.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Time will tell.

I had worried that Hillary might try to force the VP issue, which would've killed Obama's chances, I think.

There are any number of racial bigots who cannot bring themselves to not vote for Obama because he's black-- that would be racist.

So they invent all sorts of other reasons, no matter how trivial, just to soothe their secret (or unconscious) desire to NOT vote for a black man.

Sad.

A man's color ought to have zero effect on one's choice of president.

As bad as the "black man" issue is-- the "woman in the white house" issue is worse.

Many men are symbolically castrated at the thought of a strong woman-- especially one in a position of leadership. ( sad, isn't it? )

But, these sorts don't feel guilty about expressing their "no woman's gonna tell ME what to do" feelings out loud.

After all, their bible tells them it's okay to oppress women... *sigh*

We have SUCH a long way to go, still....

-----------------

With regards to Biden? I have no opinion, really-- I'm not familiar with Biden's national reputation.

Is he a moderate? Centrist? (obviously, he's not a liberal... Obama's more careful than that, which is kinda sad, too... that we've come SO far to the right, that a middle-of-the-road Obama is seen as "liberal" at all! )

I was sort of hoping for someone with more name-recognition than Biden, though.

Who that would've been, I haven't a clue however...
Edited by Bob of QF on 08/23/2008 18:09
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I think Biden has a lot of name recognition, certainly more than any of the other 'short-list' people. There was a woman on it too, but if Obama had picked her, the Hillary supporters at the convention would have had a fit. Sometimes you just can't win. But I think Biden is an OK choice.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
I'm very pleased with the Biden selection, and his acceptance.

seeker
I think Obama was pretty limited in who he could have chosen. If he chose Hillary it would have looked like she forced the issue (she really misplayed her hand IMO). He couldn't choose Edwards because of the affair (he misplayed his...well you get the idea). A guy like Kucinich would have seemed too radical while Gore and Kerry would have almost overshadowed him

Skeeve
I agree, Biden was probably the safest and wisest choice. The experience he brings to the table more than makes up for any shortcomings the Repubs have been harping on.

On the flip side, McCains choice, seems like the complete opposite. Picking someone with zero experience at the national policy level is contradictory to all the importance his campaign placed on it.

(I almost went off topic with a McCain rant, but backup and will copy paste what I wrote in the McCain VP thread :lol: )
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Skeeve
I agree, Biden was probably the safest and wisest choice. The experience he brings to the table more than makes up for any shortcomings the Repubs have been harping on.

On the flip side, McCains choice, seems like the complete opposite. Picking someone with zero experience at the national policy level is contradictory to all the importance his campaign placed on it.

(I almost went off topic with a McCain rant, but caught myself and will copy paste what I wrote in the McCain VP thread :lol: )

seeker
Did you copy it there twice too?;rofl;

Skeeve
Hah, I just noticed. Server was acting up while I was submitting.

;blush;

Jump to Forum: