View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Study shows few Americans have much bible knowledge
Doubting Thomas
http://religion.b...ds/?hpt=C1

Perhaps not surprisingly to us, atheists & agnostics did far better on the poll than Christians.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 09/28/2010 15:40

JohnH
I actually took the test shown on the link provided. In all fairness it was more about religion in general, paraphrasing "what is the dominant religion in south east asia". I actually got all 10 questions correct although I was not absolutely certain about 2 or 3.

The test was not truly about the bible. Reading through the text they pointed out that one of the questions missed was what are the first four books of the new testament, this from an apparently longer survey taken. I will admit that I had to cheat to confirm that I could have answered that question correctly. I personally would have had trouble if it was not a multiple choice test and I would have had to respond with words.

I think that the accompanying articles made some good points. Atheists and agnostics tend to know more about the bible than christians. The article then speculates that this may be true because atheists think about it more. This seems to me to be probably valid. My limited reading of the bible only confirmed my distrust of that document. I have read far more of the bible since I completely rejected it. When I was nominally a believer I had read essentially none of the bible.

It takes great willingness to sit in a room on sunday and have another human, whom you probably have limited personal knowledge of, tell you what to believe, how to behave, and the reasons why you must do those things. A willingness that demands a low level of thought. How much text is generally used in a standard sermon, 10, 20, maybe 35 lines. How many in the congregation will go home and read those same lines including many more around them. If one did that they may come to an entirely different conclusion than the one the pastor had. For that reason alone they must not learn their bible.

Bob of QF
I took the quiz, and missed the one about Indonesia, 9 of 10.

That was my only guess, though, and I guessed wrong. The rest I was pretty certain of.

Most of my questions were of Western religions, which explains my certainty. The one I missed was about a part of the world I'm fairly ignorant of.

As for why atheists/agnostics know more? I think it is mainly due to them having thought about it in detail, which caused them to reject it out of hand.

The less a person knows/thinks about religion, the less problems they will have with it-- classic head in the sand syndrome.

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I saw that story on the CBS Evening News (Katie Couric) tonight. It should upset a lot of Christians. Heh, heh.

I got 10 of 10, although in the interests of full disclosure, I had learned from the news on TV that the Jewish Sabbath begins when it does. I don't know what my answer would have been otherwise, but it would have been a guess.

Hypatia
Crud. I only got 8 out of the 10 correct. At the end it said that I know my stuff. Wow, if with 8 of 10 I know my stuff, then that makes me even more concerned than I was about those who score low.

I think one of the ones I missed was the question about the prevalent religion of Indonesia - I answered Hindu, even though I was really thinking it would probably be Buddhist, but turned out to be Islam? I think. Ah well.

Doubting Thomas
I got 10 out of 10, somehow I knew the predominant religion in Indonesia is Muslim. Maybe it's because some of the birthers keep claiming that Obama is from Indonesia and therefore a Muslim.

derF
9 out of 10 here. Got the Jewish sabbath question wrong. Knew it wasn't Sunday. Thought it was Saturday. Ahh, well. Sela Vie.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Theory_Execution
I never turned up so I got a default 0/10, reprimanded by my mother and punished by my father.

Has this study shown us anything suprising? I just hope it spurns the religious on to 'better know their maker' by reading in detail their holy books - and giving up on the crazy beliefs.

Doubting Thomas
The thing that never ceases to amaze me is that they still believe the unbelievable parts of Christianity, like a talking snake, global flood, people returning from the dead, etc. just because it was written in an old book. Yet I'm sure none of them believe in a Cyclops even though it was a character in the Odyssey.

Jump to Forum: