View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Species Discovered
Hypatia
Interesting:

http://www.huffin...53954.html

SYDNEY (AP) -- A thumbnail-sized frog with a long snout, a brilliant green katydid with bright pink eyes and a mouse with a white-tipped tail are among 200 species scientists have discovered in Papua New Guinea.

The findings were unveiled this week by Washington D.C.-based Conservation International, whose researchers discovered a kaleidoscopic array of critters during two expeditions to the South Pacific island nation in 2009.

Among the finds: 24 frog species, scores of spiders and around 100 insects including ants and dragonflies that appear to have never been described in scientific literature before, the conservation group said.

"They tell us how little we still know about the world," research team leader Stephen Richards said Thursday. "There's a lot of concern, quite rightly, about biodiversity loss and climate change and the impacts on biodiversity and what biodiversity means to us. ... Then we do projects like this and we discover, 'Hey - we don't even know what biodiversity is out there.'"

catman
What depresses me about it is that many species will likely become extinct before we even know of their (former) existence. How unutterably sad that is, IMO.

Bob of QF
Cool! Island habitats are cauldrons of habitat-pressure-- just the thing to drive that old evolutionary engine forward into new species.

I agree catman, it's sickening how many species human activity has erased from the globe.

I can hear the godbots, even now: "why not? Jesus is coming soon anyway...."

<gaaah>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
And when we keep discovering new species like this it makes it even harder to understand how people can literally believe in the Noah story, since there's no way a single vessel could contain two or seven of every species of animal on the planet. You'd need a ship the size of Nebraska.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
And don't forget the dinosaurs! Smile

Doubting Thomas
No, all the dinosaurs died in the flood for some reason, according to people like Kent Hovind.

catman
So if dinosaurs were not to be saved, why mosquitoes and cockroaches? (They're smaller?)

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
So if dinosaurs were not to be saved, why mosquitoes and cockroaches? (They're smaller?)

Whereas I cannot explain the mosquito, the cockroach is easy.

If Noah had not saved those? Modern society would have a severe shortage of lawyers, politicians, diplomats and most importantly, no godbots.

Those people had to get their role models from somewhere...
Edited by Bob of QF on 10/14/2010 18:17

Bob of QF
Oh! I now see the reason for the mosquito...

... it's where mosques come from...

Wink

derF
"What depresses me about it is that many species will likely become extinct before we even know of their (former) existence. How unutterably sad that is, IAO."
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Doubting Thomas
Well, a pair of mosquitoes or cockroaches are lots smaller than a T-Rex, and would eat lots less.

Jump to Forum: