View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Christine O'Donnell and the 1st Amendment
Hypatia
I don't recall that we've discussed Delaware Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell at anytime here, or maybe I've just missed it. But anyway, most of you who live in the US have probably heard about the debate at Widener University Law School between O'Donnell and her opponent Chris Coons that took place Tuesday.

In criticizing Coons' position that teaching creationism in public schools would be in violation of the First Amendment, O'Donnell asked, "Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?" When Coons explained the First Amendment to her, O'Donnell further questioned, asking "You're telling me that's in the First Amendment?"

I would think this woman would be utterly embarrassed, but instead, after the debate she had the unmitigated gall to criticize Coons further by saying, "Talk about imposing your beliefs on the local public schools. You've just proved how little you know not just about constitutional law but about the theory of evolution."

Excuse me - but what?1 Even members of the audience were shocked - naturally.

This woman apparently saw no evidence whatsoever of her own complete ignorance. Absolutely unreal. Incredible.

I think this deserves some conversation, if not at least some criticism.

Those who would elect her, deserve her. But everyone else doesn't.

Article and video in link:

http://www.huffin...67910.html

I think Coons was bending over backwards to be kind and help her save face as much as he could when he said her comments show a 'basic misunderstanding' of the Constitution. Misunderstanding?! Let's try complete and utter ignorance.

Wow.

At least Coons appears to be ahead in recent polls.

I debated about whether to post this in 'Christianity' or the 'Rant Room'.
Edited by Hypatia on 10/20/2010 01:47

catman
Oh, she's a complete dumbass. How she has any support is beyond me. Only those who absolutely hate Coons and would vote for anyone else would seem to be the only followers she could possibly have, along with other morons, of whom there are far too many. She's like the retarded sister of Sarah Palin (!).

You could have put it in the Funny Zone forum, but it won't be funny if she wins. There are U.S. Politics and Separation of Chutch and State forums too, but it doesn't matter to me where it is.
Edited by catman on 10/20/2010 02:09
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
She appeared on Bill Maher a number of times some years ago. Even though she was a guest on his show Bill has no hesitation in pointing out her lack of any grasp of reality.

She truly is a reflection on the ways and means of the Tea Party.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
No, he wouldn't be able to resist easy pickings like her. Not many people could. Uh, except the Tea Party knuckle-draggers.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
My apologies for erroneously stating that O'Donnell's comments about Coons not understanding constitutional law and evolution came after the debate. Oops.

Yeah, I tend to view O'Donnell as Palin's counterpart in stupidity, but in a way I think she's even dumber than Palin.

Bill Maher has been trying to get O'Donnell to come back on his show and she keeps declining, so at the beginning of his new season he said that every week he's going to play videos of her past appearances and other video clips of her until she agrees to be a guest again.

I can hardly wait to see what he has to say about this. Oy.

You're right Cat, there are a few forums that could be appropriate for this, but I ended up choosing 'Christianity' because I think she's so mostly motivated in all she says and does because of her faith.

JohnH
I, unfortunately in this case, live in California. So in the current election I have to chose between two old hacks from the democrats Jerry Brown or Barbara Boxer or two dingbats not much different from Christine O'Donnell, Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina. I will admit that both those women are more intelligent than O'Donnell. But, their political positions are equally as stupid. On the other hand the democrats running against them are nonentities.

I would normally vote for the Peace and Freedom candidate who would be much more to my political liking than a democrat but the election may be close enough that I may be forced to vote for the democrats. It sticks in my craw.

Some of the people that the republican party have put up for election this year are too far out on the right for americans to accept them, yet they do. It is a bit scary.

Theory_Execution
It is disgusting that a woman such as this is able to run for such a position.

There should be a constitution based exam.

The most disturbing thing I found was that she thought she was being quick whitted asking 'Where does that appear?' and then smiling, and then the audience laughed and she smiled more.

Now, were the audience in agreeance with her, or laughing at the shite dripping from her chops?

seeker
The truly sad part is that there are a significant number of people who see the teaching of evolution as the imposition of atheism which they regard as a religion. Yes its a risible statement but with the majority of our electorate increasingly being fed this kind of misinformation O'Donnell may actually get traction on this issue.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Doubting Thomas
Dang, I just posted a link to this story in the US Politics section.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Doubting Thomas
Yes, O'Donnell is nothing more than Palin 2.0 and I can't understand how idiots like them keep getting elected to any position above county dog catcher. Remember, folks, that people like Palin, O'Donnell, and Sharron Angle (look up her nutty statements, mainly about sharia law being imposed in Detroit & Texas) are who the teabaggers support. I really wish the tea party would split off from the Republican party so we could all have someone to laugh at. But it seems to me that the teabaggers are just the extreme right wing of the Republican party, which ought to scare anyone that a large group like that exists.

Theory_Execution
I would not be suprised that if there were a pendemic of the likes of the Black Death of europe, the Tea Baggers would be walking from town to town, country to country lashing their backs with barbed cords and chanting to the baby jebus.

Doubting Thomas
Don't forget, Palin 2.0 actually said that she wants to stop the country from having sex. Good luck, you'll probably have better results nailing jello to a tree.

Doubting Thomas
For more wacky O'Donnell quotes: http://thinkprogr...ll-record/

catman
I read some of it, but it started making me ill as I was thinking that she is actually a candidate taken seriously by some. How could they?

"Christ, you know it ain't easy..."

Doubting Thomas
I think it's the "I want to stop people from having sex" and "people need to stop masturbating" ideas which make her sound incredibly psycho to me. I mean, what business is it of hers what other people do? Why do Christians constantly believe that everyone's sex lives are their business? And she's 41 years old and not married, so is she claiming to be a virgin who's never masturbated? I can't understand why Christians think that being a sexually-repressed person is good. People who aren't sexually active or masturbate rarely make good lovers or have enjoyable sex lives later on when they're in a relationship.

catman
They think everything is their business, being charged by their god with spreading the faith, thereby saving us from ourselves and our happy lives.

Bob of QF
Agreed, 100%, DT:

Why is the Aberhamic Gawd so interested in who's dangly-bits is banging against who's?

None of their damn business what two (or more--if that's your thing) adults do with and to each other, not in public.

Egomaniac-busybodies. A pox on the lot of'em.... the godbots, not the bangers....

Wink
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
Interesting the national media attention given to Christine O'Donnell. The republicans are also running Joe Miller in Alaska and Sharon Angle in Nevada. These two are not as wacky as O'Donnell but their politics are equally or nearly as extreme. They are also running Meg Whitman (by the way I have never liked any woman, including my aunt, named Margaret) and Carly Fiorina in California. Both of these are more intelligent than any of the above but they would also be as disastrous to elect. These are the only republican candidates that I know much about, except for Ron Paul, who like his father has some very good points and some very bad points. His wrong headed comments about the 1964 Civil Rights act demonstrated that he had no understanding of what a public accommodation is.

I suspect that nationwide the republicans have many marginal candidates running for office. Makes one wonder where principled but rational conservatives go to find candidates. I know that there are libertarian and other conservative parties in some states. But, I also know as a 40 year voter almost exclusively voting for 3rd party candidates it can be a somewhat frustrating experience.

Theory_Execution
They should have 2-4 tv channels paid for by the US government on which all candidates can be given air time. But you cannot lobby for more time, they are each given a set amount of time.

No bullshit, no talk of who theyre against, just what they stand for and how they plan to achieve it (this latter part being the most important thing).

And how we would sort out the UK government - start with a bunch of axing.

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
And how we would sort out the UK government - start with a bunch of axing.

That would work with most governments.

An excellent criteria was suggested by Heinlein:

Ask each government elected, how much they wanted to be in office (using a truth-detector, obviously).

If they truly did not want to be there? They could stay--- sooner or later, their deep desires would overcome whatever it was that made them do it, and they'd leave on their own.

If they did want to be in office? Check them for sanity: if sane? Sack'em....

Wink
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: