Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Meg Whitman Twitter Fail Youtube Sensation
Hypatia
LMAO.

http://www.huffin...68205.html

catman
Entertaining. She did nice stuff with her right hand, but not much with her left. I noticed the bass had eight tuners on the headstock, but just four strings. The presentation was extremely weird.
Edited by catman on 10/21/2010 01:16
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Glad you picked up on that, Catman. Was she using a regular guitar stringed with four standard bass strings? Wouldn't that be a bit stressful on a regular guitar? She plays pretty good. She doesn't seem to chord much if at all. She's young. She has a lot of potential.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
Actually, derF, bass strings are not drawn as tight as the treble ones, so I'd think that 4 bass instead of 8 treble strings would have less stress, not more.

If you recall, the higher the desired pitch, for a given length, the tighter the tension--the higher the stress.

But I had the impression the bass player was male... in spite of the choice of costume, which I would guess related to the soloist-track
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

seeker
Take a closer look at the very beginning of that video guys. That bass is strung with eight strings sort of like a bass version of a twelve string guitar. There is a very brief close up at the beginning (I paused it to see) that reveals this.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
Yes, you're right! Hagstrom made an eight-string bass like that back in the 60s. The pairs of strings were an octave apart, just like the bottom four pairs on a 12-string guitar. These look the same. Thanks for catching that...it makes some of her licks easier to explain.

Bob of QF: You are leaving the diameter of the string (and to an extent its materials) out of your comparison between bass and treble strings. There is a LOT of difference between the tension of light- and heavy-gauge sets of strings.
Edited by catman on 10/21/2010 15:14
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Okay, I'll buy that-- I must admit, I'm only familiar with either the 6 or 12 string varieties in the normal range myself.

I've never messed with a bass guitar-- I would surmise they are strung similar to a bass viola (string-bass)?

Hmmm.... wiki to the rescue... yep-- a classic 4 string guitar is tuned like a classic 4 string bass violin/double-bass, which not incidentally, is one octave below the lowest 4 strings on a regular guitar.

I would presume an 8 stringer, would have the extra 4, at one octave higher than the string it's next two? Lets see... yep, typically at one-octave intervals, although wiki says that same-tone pattern is also used, i.e. each set is simply doubled, with the same tone.

Interesting.... a real time-waster is Wiki.

Okay here, skip to the tuning: http://en.wikiped...approaches

Wink
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Yes. a 4-string bass is tuned EADG (lowest to highest). A five-string adds a low B string (great for destroying speakers), and a 6-string adds a high C.

Theory_Execution
Many a man has been lost to a high C.

Back the vidoe tho, I am sure the artist is male.

seeker
I think you are right TE
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
Which makes the tweet link that bit better -HOWEVER - could it not be that this was a clever way of getting people to talk about Meg Whitman?

Hell im not from America and I know about it, all because of this un(iquely)fortunate mistake.

seeker
I doubt that she wanted people to talk about her in this way.

Theory_Execution
But people are talking, people might then go look at what she stands for, and either agree or disagree - either way she may have swayed a fence sitter to hop on down to a side.

Jump to Forum: