View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Photon sighting
Skeeve
So, I was hanging out at TR and what username do you think I happen to see?

He was posting in a thread in Evolution and Origins.

Maybe he'll follow my signature link back to here and say 'hi'.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Photon
Hi!

Skeeve
LOL, hiya Photon.

That thread is Greek to me. Good luck with Dave, btw.

He's something else.

Photon
I don't have much time to devote to such discussions any more; but I've interacted with Dave before on the old IIDB site, and have followed his threads for years, mostly because even though he is extremely hard-headed, and typically learns little before his reboots, his threads are very interesting, and make me review things I've not thought about for a very long time (like orbital mechanics, radiation theory, diffusion, etc.).

Dave's sort of an Internet phenomenon, really. Here's a list that has been compiled about his conduct on discussion forums (I thought there was a wiki entry, but I can't find it):

Afdave's Laws of Discourse on Internet Discussion Forums

Afdaveís First Law: All evidences for evolution are speculative. All speculations for creationism are evidential.

Afdaveís Second Law: One may escape intellectual responsibility on any issue merely by stating an intent to pursue it.

Afdaveís Third Law: If you have an objection to any point Iíve raised, Iíve already addressed it. No, I wonít tell you where.

Afdaveís Fourth Law: Unanswerable questions are invisible.

Afdaveís Fifth Law: The truth of all previously established facts and conclusions are subject to their being convenient to the argument I am presently making.

Afdave's Sixth Law: Any claim AFDave posts on a new discussion board invalidates the refutations of the same claim he has already seen and acknowledged on previous discussion boards.

Afdave's Seventh Law: No matter how transparently pathetic or retarded any of Dave's claims may be they can always be followed by something even more pathetic and retarded.

AFDave's Eighth Law: Any thread where I'm getting my ass handed to me on the original topic can be prolonged indefinitely by the introduction of tangential diversions or an abnormal focus on meaningless minutiae.

AFDave's Ninth Law: A 'troll' is anyone who makes persistent challenges to any of my claims.

AFDave's Law 9(a): A 'blatant troll with a history' is anyone who's been successful at it over the long term.

AFDave's Tenth Law: It's only a quote-mine if I don't use the exact words of the writer, not if I just read his mind and tell you what he really meant.

AFDave's Law 10(b): It is not a quote mine if I am merely quoting someone else's quote mine.
Edited by Photon on 11/26/2010 23:10

Skeeve
Haha, I didn't realize he was 'famous' for his posting style. That is quite a list and I've witnessed firsthand every one of those "law's".

Too funny.

Hypatia
Hey Photon.

Wave

seeker
The rare and elusive Photon, good to see you.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Doubting Thomas
Yes, I've seen that argument style many times before.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
Photon: Hidy! Good to hear from you again. Got to love those "laws"!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Photon
Hello everyone! I am rare and elusive, like the Sasquatch, and almost as aromatic.

Yes, Dave Hawkins is a real piece of work. I don't have much time to actually post in his threads, they generally proceed quickly at TR, and with people more well-versed about the topics than I.

It's good to see this place is still around. It's cool to have such a stable (if small) membership. I need to come here more often, and no, that's not a line I generally use to try to get laid. ha ha

Jump to Forum: