View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » LGBT
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Study: No problems w/ gays in the military
Doubting Thomas
http://news.yahoo...n_military

A Pentagon study shows that gays can serve openly in the military without any problems or detrimental effects to military readiness. Something we've probably all known for years, but the Republicans still insist on clinging to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." I wonder if they'll continue to try to block efforts to repeal it?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Skeeve
The most frustrating part of this story is the report was leaked weeks ago, and they still refuse to pay it any attention.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JohnH
Skeeve, this report is being ignored politically for a fairly obvious reason.

How many congressional districts or states have a large enough homosexual population to make a difference in an election. Intuitively (and the fact that I live in the San Francisco Bay area and do quite a bit of traveling) homosexuals for their own mental and even physical safety tend to congregate in specific areas. Compare that to the far greater number of americans who see homosexuals as a positive threat.

In the case of most republicans they have gone so far as to openly campaign against homosexuals. To even admit that a report that shows no significant problem for as conservative an organization as the military exists, would be very difficult for those politicians in particular. This report very much reinforces the idea that homosexuals pose no threat to society in general, a very inconvenient truth for far too many american citizens and politicians.

Coupled with the calculation made by politicians who may be neutral or even positive about repeal of DADT that doing so will do them more harm than good due to simple demographics, means that ignoring the report is probably the safest political path.

Note that again Obama has been quiet on the report even though he made campaign statements that he would repeal DADT. He realized that with the current congress repeal is essentially impossible.

Skeeve
Obama and his administration can osculate my scrotum.

This should could have been a done deal, politics be damned. I really regret supporting him so vigorously.

Sure, he's better than any Republican, but he's shown he's carrying on business as usual for Washington politics.

Fuck em all.

JohnH
As an odd aside (and probably not deserving of a separate post, but tough) the only member of my family that served a significant time in the armed forces was homosexual. She was in the Naval reserve in Chicago for many many years, I think she was on active duty only during world war 2.

She was also very much closeted. My brother who lived in Evanston for about 5 years and visited her with some frequency never met her companion. We had suspected but only found out for sure about her sexual orientation when she died and left the bulk of her estate to her companion.

Skeeve
I only did 3 years in the Army, but there were a few, basically open, gay guys in the couple of units I was in. Maybe one or two people out of a couple of hundred really had any kinda of issue with them. I wasn't out, except to the guys in my unit I fooled around with. Pfft

This isn't an issue and only the Conservatives and Fundie retards are making it one.

JohnH
At the risk of defending bad political decisions I have to comment on why sometimes politicians are cautious when faced with single issue voters. A fact I learned in an odd way considering this discussion.

In San Francisco with some 15% of the population homosexual and elections frequently decided by 5 or less percent of the vote it is very difficult for politicians to propose or do anything that can be construed as anti-homosexual. This is generally an innocuous fact. But, without me remembering the specifics, years ago at the start of the aids epidemic some (to me) mild proposals to limit behaviors in sex clubs caused a great back lash to those who made them. It became a very difficult political issue. Again I do not remember the specifics and think the only regulations that exist are the requirements that sex clubs provide visible warnings about unprotected sex and free condoms.

The significant fact to me was the realization that a small percentage of the population that will vote as a block on a single issue can readily wield political power much greater than its numbers. It can essentially have veto power over specific legislation or a politician. It only demands that the block vote one way or not at all no matter what the other variables. This is one reason there are so few atheists in elected positions in the US. There are far too many US citizens who simply will not vote for an atheist no matter how much they may otherwise agree with that person. The opposite hand of that is that atheists would vote for a theist if they generally agreed with that person.

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:
Obama and his administration can osculate my scrotum.

This should could have been a done deal, politics be damned. I really regret supporting him so vigorously.

Sure, he's better than any Republican, but he's shown he's carrying on business as usual for Washington politics.

Fuck em all.

Wot 'ee said. all of it.....

<bleah>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
McCain is a lying sack of shit.

http://news.yahoo...n_military

A few months ago he said that he would be for repealing DADT if the military's study showed that it would work. Now the study shows no problems from gays serving openly, he claims that the study was flawed. Of course he was never for repealing DADT, since his voter base is the same right-wing conservitards who want to ban gays not only from the military, but from life in general. I think he was just thinking that the study would show all sorts of problems with gays in the military, and now that it doesn't he claims that it's flawed.

Fuck him. If he'd had just kept saying that he didn't like gays serving in the military I'd have a tiny bit of respect for him, but one thing I absolutely hate is people who won't hold to their word and keep trying to play both sides of the fence. Which I guess is why I dislike politicians in general.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
McSame is the same lying sack'o'shit that Bush is/was.

It appears that before a person gets installed in Washington DC, they must have an "honestectomy" performed, so's they can fit right in...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
DT: Well said. I would have been surprised beyond belief if McCain had actually accepted the results of the study. One thing that must be said is that he knows his constituency.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: