View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Sarah Palin Wrong About JFK, Religion, Politics
Hypatia
I liked this article by Kathleen Kennedy Townsend

http://www.washin...03209.html

JohnH
Not to be rude but this article declares with some certainty that faith in god is useful. It only defends the position that any faith is good. It also conveniently ignores JFK's transgressions against his own religion. Not to mention Teddy's. Self serving as much of the Kennedy clan's written works have been.

Doubting Thomas
It doesn't matter about JFK because Catholics aren't Christians anyway. Smile
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Whereas the article was soft on faith, it did have some very valid criticisms of Palin (and people like her) and the way they would conduct politics in the USA: as a religious war.

I'm surprised it got published, in light of Palin's "fair haired" status among the politicos these days...

<smirk>

______

(anyone else as disgusted as I, at Palin's TV special on the Discovery network? <gag> )
Edited by Bob of QF on 12/04/2010 11:06
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

seeker
Let's not forget that the original concept of freedom of religion was so that the different varieties of Christians could practice their religions. There isn't really a consideration of a completely secular government in the premise of this article, only a concept that promoting one sect over another is wrong.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:
Whereas the article was soft on faith, it did have some very valid criticisms of Palin (and people like her) and the way they would conduct politics in the USA: as a religious war.

I'm surprised it got published, in light of Palin's "fair haired" status among the politicos these days...

<smirk>

______

(anyone else as disgusted as I, at Pali[b]n's TV special on the Discovery network? <gag> [/b])

That's what I liked about the article.

John, I didn't see the piece as anti-religion either, but I think Palin would definitely require a religious test for public office if she could, and I do think she (along with all the others like her) sees herself as someone to judge everything about everyone based on whether they are or are not religious, and based on how much their religion lines up with her own beliefs.

Bob of QF - oh yeah, I think it's disgusting that Palin has a 'reality' show. I haven't, and won't watch it, so the content doesn't even matter to me. Seems I heard after the first week or two that it started running that it's supposedly a very popular show. I think the majority of people are perfectly happy with what's shown on t.v. Surprise! *insert sarcasm*

JohnH
Hypatia, I just get a little pissy whenever the whole Kennedy clan but particularly JFK are mentioned. People my age tend to conveniently forget the escalation of the war in Vietnam and the Bay of Pigs. They also conveniently forget that for the most part it was Johnson who managed to get passed any of the important legislation of that administration. Simply because a president was killed during your lifetime does not elevate that president to greatness.
Edited by JohnH on 12/04/2010 15:04

catman
JFK did make some big blunders, I agree. But he had a certain charisma, along with Jackie, and he was able to inject a youthful energy and optimism into the Presidency and country that no one else has done in my lifetime. Obama came close, but he's become something of a disappointment, although he warned us that it would take time to dig us out of the Great Recession. The Party of No (Protectors of the Rich) made sure of that.

Also LBJ was the one who really got VietNam escalating, alothough JFK started it.
Edited by catman on 12/05/2010 01:55
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
JohnH-- I agree.

But, just as Nixon (for all his myrad of flaws) saved me from the draft by mere months (for which I'll always have a soft spot for that, if nothing else), JFK managed to stir the imaginations of the populous such that we spent billions on getting men to the moon and back.

We [the US] are still coasting on the spin-offs of that program...

... from the transistor, to all modern medical diagnosis equipment, to engineering lightweight materials, to a healthy boost to the nascent computer industry to...

... the list is nearly endless, even if you ignore the scientific achievements made possible by Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.

So, yeah-- I'll always have a soft spot for JFK, too-- even though I know he had feet of clay.

Wink
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: