View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Science
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Stem Cell Transplant 'Cures' HIV Patient
Hypatia
Hmmmm...

http://www.huffin...96521.html

On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

And another article
http://www.foxnew...ransplant/

There’s an estimated 33 million people worldwide living with HIV/AIDS, and now doctors believe one of them may have been cured of the virus after receiving a stem cell transplant in 2007, the medical journal Blood reported.

Timothy Ray Brown, an HIV-positive American living in Germany, had leukemia and was undergoing chemotherapy, when he received a transplant of stem cells from a donor carrying a rare, inherited gene mutation that seems to make carriers virtually immune to HIV infection.

The transplant appeared to wipe out both diseases, giving hope to doctors, but Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who has been studying HIV/AIDS for almost 30 years, said while this is an interesting proof of concept, it’s absurdly impractical.

“It’s hard enough to get a good compatible match for a transplant like this,” Fauci told FoxNews.com, “But you also have to find compatible donor that has this genetic defect, and this defect is only found in 1 percent of the Caucasian population and zero percent of the black population. This is very rare.”

Edited by Hypatia on 12/15/2010 01:24

Doubting Thomas
This is why stem-cell research needs to be stopped, now. We're interfering with God's plans to strike all those evil gheys down with AIDS if we discover a cure for it. Not to mention all those poor innocent babies that are slaughtered to produce stem cells. [/fundie]
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Oklahoma's own Abby Smith, an actual AIDS researcher right here in my bass-ackwards state, has her particular take on all this, here:

http://scienceblo...as_a_c.php

And it's pretty much as I expected-- a rare, and clumsy approach, not ready for prime time. And not really a cure, in the general meaning of the word. A serendipitous side-effect, is what I'd call it.

Anyway, my opinion doesn't matter: read what Abby had to say, she's literally in the trenches in AIDS research.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: