View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Remember
Doubting Thomas
Jesus is the reason for the season!

Now if you excuse me, I have to put up my Christmas tree, decorate my house, then take the kids to see Santa while I finish up my Christmas shopping.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
DT: You really put the X back into Xmas.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Hah bumbug.

Smile

Doubting Thomas
I'm thinking of putting this as my facebook status if I see another one of those stupid "Jesus is the reason for the season" or "Don't use Xmas, keep Christ in Christmas" statuses.

catman
You'll have to live in a cave not to see another one.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Photon
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I'm thinking of putting this as my facebook status if I see another one of those stupid "Jesus is the reason for the season" or "Don't use Xmas, keep Christ in Christmas" statuses.

I always like pointing out that the X in X-mas IS Christ.

www.greek-names.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/christos.gif

The Greek spelling of "Christos" uses chi as the first letter, which looks a whole lot like an X. For at least 1000 years, X has been used as an abbreviation for Christ in English, and the Chi-Rho (looks like an X with overwritten p) labarum military standard was present on Roman coins after Constantine.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Maiorina-Vetranio-siscia_RIC_281.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

The "War on Christmas" crowd that complain about the X in X-mas typically don't know why it's there.
Edited by Photon on 12/19/2010 05:26

Doubting Thomas
Well, seeing as how the "War on Christmas" crowd is typically the same "this is America and we speak English" crowd, if you don't specifically spell out "Christ" for them they think you're trying to "remove Jesus from Christmas." Of course they're also the same idiots who don't realize that Christmas was originally a Pagan holiday and Jesus was not born during winter.

Bob of QF
What I think these people are most guilty of?

Is itchin' for a fight...

Wink
Edited by Bob of QF on 12/20/2010 10:51
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
I think that it is time for non theists to reclaim the human beauty of winter solstice observations and spring equinox observations. I would further argue that those in the southern hemisphere should not be forced to observe the solstice and equinox celebrations in opposite hand.

I, many years ago, realized that this sort of human celebration was rational and understandable. Mid winter cold, rain (I live in coastal California), dark, needs to be resisted by a big feast and gifts with as many of your family as can be assembled. The coming of summer with the hope of a good harvest needs to be celebrated with a certain amount of caution (fasting) and hope.

Why do we allow the theists to steal these human celebrations from us. Why do we force people in the southern hemisphere to observe them on the wrong days. I am serious on this subject. Theists need to understand that they have stolen beautiful celebrations from the rest of this. It does not work the way they claim.

Robert
Hey Photon,

Just dropping a note to say hello.

I've noticed a couple of posts where you seem interested in Koine Greek. Is there a slight chance that you're studying the language?

Also, I just bought a book on string theory by Brian Greene. Do the majority of physicists currently use this model to better understand the universe? Hopefully the theory is still in favor and I'm not a day late and a dollar short.

Finally, the L.A. Kings are going to splatter Canadian blood on the ice for the remainder of the season so you might as well turn your T.V. off now! Lol.

Photon
Hey Robert!

Hello again! No, I'm not studying Greek.

Regarding string theory, I have to say I'm a little lost as to what "the majority of physicists currently use", since quantifiable experimental predictions that are testable are missing from much of the theories.

From dual resonance, to superstrings, to M-theory and branes, they are all elegant, and many of the models are not inconsistent with the standard model and particle zoo, but as to whether any of them form a consistent model of reality, we'd have to wait for experimental evidence. The LHC might change some of the current models. It's not that the general idea of string theory is out of favour, it's just in limbo, really.

Brian Greene is relatively proficient at communicating his ideas in a relatively non-technical way. He's one of the few writers in the genre that can do that.

As for the Kings, remember that about 40% of the active roster is Canadian, with about 40% from U.S. players. Canadians still compose about 52% of the NHL overall, so ANY team will be spilling Canadian blood, more or less.

However, if Kopitar keeps playing well, Brown, Williams and Stoll should be able to carry that team offensively, and they do have a stud defense in Johnson and Doughty. With even mediocre goaltending they should make the playoffs. But they have such a strong division, that they could place anywhere from 1st to 5th, and still have a chance to make it.

Robert
Hola Photon,

Yeah, I just happened to see Brian Greene's book on Amazon a few weeks ago and thought it looked pretty cool. He was apparently a finalist for the Pulitzer. I've always thought physics was interesting and had read two or three books on the subject a few years back. Never been properly introduced to string theory though. Thanks for your feedback.

Yep, it's hard to get a rivalry going between the U.S. and Canada since so many NHL players are obviously Canadian lol.

The Kings seem to come out swinging and annihilate the competition one day and then totally fall apart the next. I agree that the Kings have a pretty good team this year and just need to keep their shots on goal high enough to showcase their full talent. Either way, I miss the old days when Gretzky, Robitaille, McSorley, Blake and the rest of the gang came so close to claiming the Cup.

Jump to Forum: