View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Mormonism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Re-writing the Book of Mormon - Again
Hypatia
http://www.sltrib...h.html.csp

Bob of QF
Well, you gotta admit that they are far more honest than those "moderate" christians who continue to promote a 2000 year old bible that includes slavery, women-as-property and uses master/slave imagery for it's chief deities....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
Yes, a good point and true - when we know something is wrong and we can change it, do something to try to make it right, then we should.

It is good to know that someone doesn't consider their holy book so holy that they can't take steps to correct offensive atrocities.

Doubting Thomas
At least they're honest about changing the BOM, when most Christians claim that the bible has been unchanged since it was written.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Exactly, DT.

As if being "unchanged"* for centuries somehow gives it "magical properties"....

... why is it, humans have this seemingly innate idea that just because something's really, really old, that it is granted Significance-with-a-capitol-S?

* anyone who's studied biblical history knows how much of a lie that one is... unchanged. What a laugh. There are more versions of the bible than there are christians...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Photon
I wonder if the new edition will include a chapter specifically on magical underwear.

seeker
Photon - They should just incorporate the Victoria's Secrets catalog - magic underwear indeed.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
Hypatia: I am of the opinion that the "offensive atrocities" are best left in the 'holy book', so that those such as you & I can point them out as a means of casting doubt as to the 'holiness' of the thing in general. Why should it be 'cleaned up' and made more acceptable?

seeker: Yes indeed! Smile
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: