View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Diocese of Phoenix Strips Hosp. of Church Affiliation
Hypatia
I have no idea how often this happens, but this caught my eye since it's the hospital where I have my testing and treatments done with the Barrow Neurological Institute.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix has relieved St. Joseph Hospital and Medical Center of its affiliation with the church for making an ethical and moral decision but that the diocese is calling an 'abortion'. The hospital said the surgery was to save the life of a woman, but was one that ended her pregnancy. The diocese says the hospital 'violated ethical and religious directives of the national Conference of Catholic Bishops' by performing a surgery that 'chose' the life of either the mother or child over the other.

Bishop Thomas Olmsted called the 2009 procedure an abortion and said St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center recognized internationally for its neurology and neurosurgery practices violated ethical and religious directives of the national Conference of Catholic Bishops.

"In the decision to abort, the equal dignity of mother and her baby were not both upheld," Olmsted said at a news conference announcing the decision. "The mother had a disease that needed to be treated. But instead of treating the disease, St. Joseph's medical staff and ethics committee decided that the healthy, 11-week-old baby should be directly killed."

Linda Hunt, president of St. Joseph's, said doctors performed a necessary procedure on a patient who was getting worse by the minute and was in imminent danger of death.

"If we are presented with a situation in which a pregnancy threatens a woman's life, our first priority is to save both patients. If that is not possible, we will always save the life we can save, and that is what we did in this case," Hunt said. "Morally, ethically, and legally, we simply cannot stand by and let someone die whose life we might be able to save."

The woman who underwent the procedure is in her 20s and had a history of abnormally high blood pressure when she learned of her pregnancy. After she was admitted to the hospital with worsening symptoms, doctors determined her risk of death was nearly 100 percent.

The diocese also doesn't like some of the practices of Catholic Healthcare West, St. Joseph's parent company

He said he recently learned that Catholic Healthcare West also is responsible for contraceptive counseling, voluntary sterilization, and other practices he said violate the ethical and religious directives.

Hunt, who also is the service area president of Catholic Healthcare West of Arizona, said the hospital had to offer such services under Arizona's Medicaid program, but did so through a third party.

I'm glad this hospital is standing behind its decisions and has made these particular calls on their own.
Edited by Hypatia on 12/22/2010 14:21

Bob of QF
Woot!

Kick some Cat'licker butt....

Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Three cheers for the hospital. Boos and hisses to the hidebound diocese.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
The diocese says the hospital 'violated ethical and religious directives of the national Conference of Catholic Bishops' by performing a surgery that 'chose' the life of either the mother or child over the other.

Yes, because we all know it was God's will that both the mother and her unborn child die. Fuck the church. I'm glad I left it and am not a part of it any more.

Sounds like the woman had severe preeclampsia (sp?), in which a pregnancy causes extremely high blood pressure. The ONLY way to treat that is to end the pregnancy, either by birthing the baby if it's far enough along or removing the fetus if it's not.

Of course according to the church ending a pregnancy by any means other than birth of a baby is always totally evil and wrong, even if it saves the life of the mother. Too bad that Catholics all over the world can't see that the church is a patriarchal organization run by old men who don't give a crap about the life of women.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
You are correct, DT:

If men could become pregnant? Abortion would be a sacred sacrament, practiced as frequently as possible...

Doubting Thomas
What I just don't get is how they think that the life of a fetus is far more important than the life of the mother AND the life of the fetus. I know that's somewhat paradoxical, but if they'd let the woman die, her fetus would have died with her. Now she can live to have another baby or babies in the future. And I'm sure it wasn't her choice to end the pregnancy if she didn't have to, and she's probably grieving the baby she lost.

All this shows is how blinded the Catholic church and Catholics in general have become in the whole abortion debate. They're so caught up in the "all abortion is wrong" idea that they can't even accept the fact that sometimes it's a necessary evil to save the life of the mother. I just wonder what the priests, bishops and cardinals would have done in that situation, pray?

catman
My take on it is that since Catholic clergy are forbidden to marry and procreate, they have no real understanding of that part of the human condition, instead being bound up in their hypothetical world of angels and demons. It is like asking someone who has only seen automobiles from a distance to rebuild an engine.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
Yes, and why I will never go to a Catholic priest for marriage counseling.

Bob of QF
For very much the same reason, I would avoid catholic-based psychologists as well...

... but most especially?

I would keep far, far away from catholic child-rearing advice...

Doubting Thomas
I just don't understand why anyone would think that a bunch of stodgy, old men who've never lived with a woman or kids could be good at any kind of marital or family advice. It would be like someone like me who's never touched recreational drugs trying to counsel drug addicts. I could do it from a book, but wouldn't have the actual experience of knowing what it's like.

Jump to Forum: