View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheists' #s Doom Them to Irrelevance
Hypatia
Why atheists, why?

http://thedailyst...rrelevance

Polls show atheists to be 3 percent or less of the total population of the United States, a number that has remained about the same over past years. However, in a desperate attempt to make the number appear higher, the president of this organization now claims that there are many more "closet atheists." He goes so far as to say that there are many who attend religious services during the holidays but don't believe in them. Kind of pathetic if you ask me.

Fortunately, the country is headed back on the right track to sanity. A few years ago only 20 percent of the nation's top companies dared to make any mention of Christmas in their stores. A great many were simply intimidated by the American Civil Liberties Union or similar organizations. The number mentioning Christmas has reversed itself and is now up to 80 percent and continuing to rise. It's also nice to see the Salvation Army bell ringers back in places where they were previously banned.

Why are atheists so afraid of Christianity that they feel they have to go out and aggressively attack it every year around this time? Why don't you instead proudly proclaim your "atheistic religion" and explain all the reasons and research that led you to your stance. Maybe you can't? Maybe your choice was made out of laziness and you didn't even give religion a chance? Are you going to give your children the right to choose?

Tell you what; why don't you pick a day, any day, call it Atheist Day, and spend the day celebrating your atheism. Get yourself an atheist tree, exchange atheist gifts and have a great atheist meal. Call all the other atheists you know (won't take long) or send them a card and exchange happy atheist wishes.

Since you believe that there is no being more supreme than yourself (a rather egocentric viewpoint), you can celebrate you by staring at yourself (or small groups staring at each other) in the mirror all day. Isn't this a better idea than going around and putting other religions down? At least you are doing something more positive for yourself if you follow my strategy for you.

Even though I do push back hard against you atheists, I still hope you will rethink your position and change before it's too late. You are making the biggest mistake of your lives by not at least giving religion a serious try. In the meantime I wish you a Merry Christmas and I will be praying for you.

catman
Bilge water! No further proof is needed that religion is institutionalized know-nothingness. The author lost me at "atheistic religion".
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
If he truly thinks that atheists are only three percent of the country what is he worried about?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
... Since you believe that there is no being more supreme than yourself (a rather egocentric viewpoint), ...

Anyone else's irony meter blow at reading this phrase?

What is more egocentric, than pretending the Ultimate Creator of Everything gives a rat-fart who you have sex with?

Or worse... believing in a "deity" who cares that you wear nylon-and-cotton blended fabrics, and demands the death of all who do?
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

JohnH
I spent some time today checking for statistical evidence on the claim that only 3% of the US are atheist. My intent was to state that the author of the article started with an untruth and expanded upon it. It turns out all the data I could find on the internet is somewhat ambiguous and, in fact, the number of people who self describe as atheist is quite small. The whole exercise ruined what was going to be a simplistic argument against the article. I will not go into the non simplistic argument as to why so few people self describe themselves as atheist but I do believe that too many people find to much negative connotations with the term. Atheism does imply an antagonism toward religion that many would not profess. When someone describes themselves as without religion the percentage in the US climes to something like 15%.

I remember telling a story here a long time ago of carefully crafting an argument about how god was a human construct on my way to my local, about a 20 minute walk. Proud of myself I start my carefully crafted argument to one of my cronies, his response was along the lines of tell me something I don't know. When one lives with that sort of social contact freely saying you are an atheist is easy. In many more locals simply saying you have no religion would be much more safe.

All that said the article was still a bunch of bullshit. It makes the stupid argument that a minority is always wrong. It makes that stupid argument that christianity is the only true religion, not directly but certainly by implication. It is inaccurate in its assessment of what atheists think. Snide and insulting the article only tends to prove why people who are confident enough to describe themselves openly as atheists find theists non thinking.

Bob of QF
My main reason for continuing to use terms such as "not religious" and "not a believer" and "ex-christian" remain: the majority has a false idea of what being an atheist is. They equate the term with active belief, when in actuality, it is simply a lack of belief-- and the religious simply cannot grasp that concept.

Just as they fail when seeing the concept agnostic-- they mistakenly think it's some sort of "half-way point" between "godbottery and "faithful-atheism". (to coin a couple of self-descriptive terms myself...)

So, I suppose, from a certain point of view (aka Darth Vader "killed" Luke's father) 3% is "accurate"...

... just like the electoral college method of "electing" the US president faithfully reflects the popular vote...

... right.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

comfortable
I always side-step all the arguments thusly:
"I don't believe in an afterlife."

People can label me whatever they choose.

It's pretty easy to show that "I" cannot continue beyond the dissolution of my brain.

In fact, the "I" that existed when I was 8 years old no longer exists, except as a faint shadow, buried among the tens of thousands of traits that make up my "I" of today.
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

Doubting Thomas
I firmly believe that there are many, many more atheists out there than Christians like to believe. I believe it's probably around 15-20% based on numerous polls. Not only that, take a look around the internet. On various message boards or reader comments on articles, I always notice a huge number of people who either claim to be atheist or make some kind of remark against religion.

Of course this is totally unscientific, but if you wanted to make it scientific, even here in the bible belt there are a lot of churches with only a fraction of the population attending. But then, this only takes into account the number of people who feel it necessary to attend church services, not those who believe but prefer to stay home Sunday morning. But even then, for Christians to claim that over 90% of the country is Christian (or even by the most generous estimate of 20% atheists), the number of people attending church doesn't reflect the local population. In fact, there are quite a few churches that have closed or on the verge of closing due to poor attendance.

I think that in another 20 years or so we atheists probably become more prominent than we already are. I hope that the country is more like Europe is now, with about 50% atheism. Of course this is a hopeful dream, but I know that Christians will still hold onto their strongholds in the South and Midwest. But as recent polls have shown, at least the number of Christian fundamentalists is dropping.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: