View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello peoples!
Skeeve
schmoo wrote:
TE-I don't actually do the teaching. His teachers have set classroom times online, he gets on the computer, joins the classroom and attends lectures. If he has questions he calls or emails the teacher, or attends office hours to chat online. If the computer misbehaves he calls tech support. I generally just supervise homework and provide transportation to state mandated tests and school field trips, in addition to nagging him to pay attention to his teacher. One of the rules of this particular school is that a parent is required to be at home with the child during classes-apparently middle school children are troublesome when unsupervised online!

This actually sounds awesome. As long as he gets his social interaction with his peers, he'll be just fine.

Kudos schmoo!

schmoo
Oh indeed he does-Kung Fu class mainly, but it seems to be just about all he can handle. He sometimes teaches the younger kids as a group, and occasionally will help one of the newer adult students learn some of the basic beginner moves.

I have to say it's hard to find one on one friends for him-kids his actual age are much more mature, he is mentally and socially around the age of 9 or 10, and because of the medications he used to take his growth lags behind as well. So really, his peer group is a lot younger than he is.

catman
schmoo: It seems to me that you've done an excellent job of managing Bug's life under the circumstances. Bravissimo!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

schmoo
Well thanks, though I am beginning to feel that I am never going to be able to stop managing Bug's life and make him do it himself!

On the one hand, he can keep his room tidy and pick up after himself, do his own laundry (all of it-towels, sheets, blankets and clothing), he can cook a few things on his own, etc. But the child cannot get himself up in the morning, definitely cannot keep himself on track with his schoolwork unless I stand over him, and still has no sense of time at all.

catman
At least some of that comes from being a kid. As much as it pains me to say so, I wasn't perfect.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

schmoo
That is something I need to keep in mind as well-he really is just a kid, and he will be a kid a bit longer than most. His behavior and habits NOW are not necessarily set-in-stone indicators of his future.

Shhhhh....keep this under the radar, but I'm afraid I have to admit, I wasn't perfect either. Shock

Jump to Forum: