View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Churches: Taxation Would Damage Church State Separation
Hypatia
The Alliance Defense Fund is representing catlick and xtian churches in Mission, KS who believe they should not have to pay a new 'transportation utility fee' imposed by the city to generate more revenue, and contend that requiring churches to be so taxed 'does damage to the constitutional separation between church and state'.

When they want to pray or erect monuments of The Ten Commandments on government property and anyone says, 'separation of church and state' they're being persecuted. When required to help foot the bill along with everyone else, it's a violation of the separation of church and state.

Yeah. Of course it is.

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/Cruci.gif

http://www.huffin...12400.html

(RNS) When a community needs to rebuild crumbling roads, should houses of worship pay fees for the number of times their congregants drive on them?

That's the question behind a recent suit filed by churches in the small city of Mission, Kan., who argue the city's new "transportation utility fee" is a tax they should not have to pay.

With cash-strapped states and cities facing a slew of tough choices, there's a growing debate nationwide about whether religious congregations should help foot the bill.

"It makes no sense to tax churches and to limit their ability to provide their services, and it does damage to the constitutional separation between church and state," argues Erik Stanley, senior legal counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, which is representing Catholic and Baptist churches in the city of 10,000.

It seems it can't be decided whether this is a tax or a fee... I'm sure the churches will choose whichever they think will work to their advantage.

Bob of QF
ALL tax breaks given to churches ought to be eliminated, and yesterday.

I'm damn sick and tired of subsidizing these evil houses of pedophilia (and worse) with my taxes.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

seeker
The joke is om us when it comes to separation of church and state right now. Religious organizations have a tremendous effect on our politics and yet have no accountability. I say tax them heavily.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
They need to be taxed. Just how would taxing them damage the separation between church and state? Its is hilarious to hear that they are standing behind that when they think it will work in their favor.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Does it really shock anyone? Believers are taught to pick and choose on a whim and without regard for yesterdays opinion - thats the magick of religion.

The day they are consistent (wist bloro baptisks) is the day you should be surprised. But do not believe these believers are genuine in their blabbering.

Doubting Thomas
Funny how they like to claim that there is no separation of church & state in the Constitution until it comes to tax exempt status of churches. And then they whine when they lose that tax exempt status when their preachers/pastors tell their congregations who to vote for or what anti-gay legislation to support.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: