View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hi guys
General-Pryce
Hi guys

I haven't checked in for a while, I think the last update was after Beckys mum passed away (Becky was formerly known as Reganm when we worked for the Ghost Tour).

Things have gone from bad- to good- to bad and abck again. But then that is life. I've become very active in the skepitcal community and now am President of the Edinburgh Skeptics society and we run 4 events each month as well as a three week event in Auguts with a game show, lecture, tour and other events every day!

I've been diagnosed with depression, I got 17 points on my last psych evalutation which is in the middle of "moderate- Severe" depression and have been cutting my arm a littl bit. But not enough to scare.

I feel like I can be very open and honest here so hope you don't feel I am being "weird".

Just wanted to chat and let you know how things are going and that I have never forgotten this place- my first skeptical home on the interwebz! and one of the first palces I ever was accepted for my non belief.

I tried wetting up a walking tour company but that didn't work- my depression probably had a major impact on that although I do still do private tours so it isn't all gone. I'm also expanding into "mock" suprnatural events as retaliation against the alledged real paranormal companies here in Edinburgh. We will stage theatrical events with a sup0ernatural theme but let people knwo they are just acted.

Me and becky have a hamster called Bert (After Bertrand Russel) and he is a lovely little thing. About a year old now. We have to move as the landlord is selling the flat but we'll land on our feet as always!

I must try and get here mroe often. I'm smokign again after several attempts to stop and I'm in touch with many of you on Facebook.

Will try and get in more often.

cheers Guys

Ash (formerly Alex- used to be a stage name!)
 
General-Pryce
God damn my spelling is awful!
 
catman
Hey, Gen'l! Good to see a post from you again. Keep us informed of what's happening with you. Congratulations on becoming President of the Edinburgh Skeptics!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Skeeve
Heya Ash, sounds like a typical non-privileged life. It's tough all over these days. Hang in there.
 
Hypatia
General-Pryce wrote:
Hi guys

I haven't checked in for a while, I think the last update was after Beckys mum passed away (Becky was formerly known as Reganm when we worked for the Ghost Tour).

Things have gone from bad- to good- to bad and abck again. But then that is life. I've become very active in the skepitcal community and now am President of the Edinburgh Skeptics society and we run 4 events each month as well as a three week event in Auguts with a game show, lecture, tour and other events every day!

I've been diagnosed with depression, I got 17 points on my last psych evalutation which is in the middle of "moderate- Severe" depression and have been cutting my arm a littl bit. But not enough to scare.

I feel like I can be very open and honest here so hope you don't feel I am being "weird".

Just wanted to chat and let you know how things are going and that I have never forgotten this place- my first skeptical home on the interwebz! and one of the first palces I ever was accepted for my non belief.

I tried wetting up a walking tour company but that didn't work- my depression probably had a major impact on that although I do still do private tours so it isn't all gone. I'm also expanding into "mock" suprnatural events as retaliation against the alledged real paranormal companies here in Edinburgh. We will stage theatrical events with a sup0ernatural theme but let people knwo they are just acted.

Me and becky have a hamster called Bert (After Bertrand Russel) and he is a lovely little thing. About a year old now. We have to move as the landlord is selling the flat but we'll land on our feet as always!

I must try and get here mroe often. I'm smokign again after several attempts to stop and I'm in touch with many of you on Facebook.

Will try and get in more often.

cheers Guys

Ash (formerly Alex- used to be a stage name!)


Hey Ash, great to see you here. Sounds like you're keeping busy with interesting things, as always. I'm glad the Edinburgh Skeptics Society is so active and that you're having so much success and fun with it. I hope having the depression diagnosis will help in some way in dealing with what goes with living with the condition.

Hope the move is smooth and that Bert will like your new place. Take care, and hope you'll get to drop in more often.
 
Theory_Execution
I get the updates regarding the ESS often, one day I might turn up, but as it is, travelling is a pain in the ass for me (combination of factors - my legs are working well, cycling to work).

I dont know how these psych evaluations work - but moderate-severe is better than severe in anyones books.

I think a good part of staying happy and positive (when your head isnt fuzzed with ideas of religious purpose and destiny) has a lot to do with not caring about others - not in the sense that you would overlook them if they were dying infront of you - but closing your mind to a lot that goes on in the world.

I find this makes me smile like an idiot - http://www.youtub...Y_VHOCp7Lw

And to cutting yourself - it does a lot less damage than smoking - and really is it so different to contact sport? I remember a lot of the fun of rugby union was the wounds after (although the fractured collar bone was not, and still is not appreciated). Just keep is like a Christian Preacher . . . shallow.
 
Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:
I get the updates regarding the ESS often, one day I might turn up, but as it is, travelling is a pain in the ass for me (combination of factors - my legs are working well, cycling to work).

I dont know how these psych evaluations work - but moderate-severe is better than severe in anyones books.

I think a good part of staying happy and positive (when your head isnt fuzzed with ideas of religious purpose and destiny) has a lot to do with not caring about others - not in the sense that you would overlook them if they were dying infront of you - but closing your mind to a lot that goes on in the world.

I find this makes me smile like an idiot - http://www.youtub...Y_VHOCp7Lw

And to cutting yourself - it does a lot less damage than smoking - and really is it so different to contact sport? I remember a lot of the fun of rugby union was the wounds after (although the fractured collar bone was not, and still is not appreciated). Just keep is like a Christian Preacher . . . shallow.


[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gigglesmile.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. It amuses me that anyone is amused by this all these years later. This came out in what, the 70s, maybe the 80s? I could take about 56 seconds of it then, and about 56 seconds of it now.

But that was a fun reminiscence. Thanks TE.

Smile
 
seeker
Might even have been the late sixties, Patia. If I remember correctly the version that became a hit was a re-recording. I think I'd rather listen to someone play a saw.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
 
Hypatia
I think you're right Seeker - the 60s seems more like it.

Not quite, but that song could almost make me prefer to listen to Yoko Ono sing.
 
Kowboy
Hypatia wrote:
I think you're right Seeker - the 60s seems more like it.

Not quite, but that song could almost make me prefer to listen to Yoko Ono sing.


Hypatia:

I'm glad you put the italicized "almost" qualifier in your post or I'd have to accuse you of exaggerating.Wink
 
Theory_Execution
I think Hypatia and Seeker obviously have no grasp of musical genius . . . lol.

It cheers me up, even though I am usually dead-set against repetative music, and music without lyrics covered by a good vocalist - this one I like.
 
catman
I remember the song well. It received a lot of airplay around DFW. I like the drum part quite a lot, although I suspect it isn't a live drummer. The song was a real space-age novelty at the time, when analog synthesizers were cutting-edge.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Jump to Forum: