Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Stealth Tactic to Smuggle Creationism into Science Class
Skeeve
A new law in Louisiana allows teachers to bring in "supplemental textbooks" about evolution, the origins of life and global warming to science class.

And America gets dumber and dumber.

Full article HERE
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
Yes, I've been following that. At a considerable distance so I can avoid the excreta. 'Supplemental', my ass.;borg;
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
I think that most school systems will let teachers sneak religion into the classroom. They turn a blind eye unless a parent files a complaint. Fundies made a concerted effort a few decades back to infiltrate the school systems, PTA's school boards etc... it worked.

I know about this tactic because I was asked to participate back when I was a baptist fundie. I was told I'd have a guaranteed job if I switch my major to education and applied at the local elementary school. Even as a Christian, this creeped me out.

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
.... Even as a Christian, this creeped me out.

And we've come SO far since then.....! ;banghead;
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

neilmarr
Yeah, Bob. As the pair of us agreed in another thread today, education is religion's greatest adversary. All religions would like to see true education infiltrated by or even replced with indoctrination. It's all they have going for them. No free adult in his right mind (note 'free' and 'right mind') would accept the ridiculous claims of religion in an age of reason, science and scholarship. Neil

Edited to remove uninvited smiley. Am I the only guy here who detests those things? Yeah ... I know ... I'm a spoilsport. I don't object to them in other folks' posts. Just don't like them in my own. N
Edited by neilmarr on 08/30/2008 02:58

General-Pryce
This bill is disgusting. It's dangerous the way in which they change their terminology to mislead you into what they are actually selling! I really can't get over how wrong this is.

It just seems to be from another world.
Edited by General-Pryce on 08/30/2008 06:41

neilmarr
***It just seems to be from another world***

It is, GP. It's heaven sent. And, of course, it's almost exclusively American here on eath as far as the west is concerned. Elsewhere, creationism is a subject for theology ... but, of course, like Queen Victoria, theology is not a subject, sir. Neil

Doubting Thomas
Of course the language is carefully crafted to hide the meaning but keep the intent. That's why when the Supreme Court determined that teaching "creationism" in schools is illegal, they came up with "Intelligent Design."

If the Supreme Court determines that ID should not be taught in schools, then they'll come up with other terminology to try to sneak it by.

derF
neilmarr wrote:Edited to remove uninvited smiley. Am I the only guy here who detests those things? Yeah ... I know ... I'm a spoilsport. I don't object to them in other folks' posts. Just don't like them in my own. N

This from the guy with the animated futility avatar! ;tongue;

Edited to include smiley in deference to poetic justice.
Edited by derF on 08/30/2008 13:16
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
What bothers me most of all about it is the implicit assumption that science and "intelligent design" are of equal value and should both be taught in public schools, giving the students the opportunity to make up their own minds. How democratic it is to confuse them by giving them both with equal weight. It reminds me of an old Gunsmoke episode called Fires of Ignorance, in which the old farmer tells the schoolteacher that all his son needs to know is in 'The Book'.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
If only we could let people actually live via the Bible, with no other input from what science (the scientific method) has delivered us over the millenia.

Does the Bible really teach agriculture, medicine and construction?

It was now many years ago that I read the Bible but I do not remember any of this occuring in it.

Without dedicated members of the public, educational boards and others keeping an eye on these groups they would soon infiltrate every aspect of education, and as Neil says, leave us with an eye clamp and motion picture similar to that of A Clockwork Orange.

I found out, and it disgusted me to no end, not so long ago, that some churches will produce leaflets that inform their congregation on who to vote for.

Kallistie
RayvenAlandria wrote:
I think that most school systems will let teachers sneak religion into the classroom. They turn a blind eye unless a parent files a complaint...(snip)

Oh yes. My high school biology teacher (a wonderful teacher) was a creationist and said he thought evolution was crap but that he had to teach it anyway to follow state standards.

derF
This is typical right wing obfuscation. (a word near and dear to Catman's heart) You see it constantly in their political campaigns and on their right wing so called newscasts. Think Fox Nutwork for example. Just mix in some of your lies amongst the truth and pretty soon someone will take it as gospel. (Did I just say that?)
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

seeker
You are right derf, just repeat the lie until it becomes the 'truth'

Doubting Thomas
Theory_Execution wrote:
I found out, and it disgusted me to no end, not so long ago, that some churches will produce leaflets that inform their congregation on who to vote for.

Yes, they do, and I think there was talk of revoking tax-exempt status from some of them if they didn't stop telling people who to vote for. Of course all they have to do to skirt that is to form groups outside the church to distribute information on who people should vote for.

My mother-in-law votes for whoever Kansans For Life, a Catholic anti-abortion group, tells her to.

neilmarr
***This from the guy with the animated futility avatar***

Yeah, that's a blatant display of atheist so-called ethics, eh, Derf? Can't trust the buggers. Neil

RayvenAlandria
Oh yeah, churches are sneaky. Our preacher used to say things like "Well, I can't tell you who to vote for but this is who I am voting for...." and then he'd go on to give a sermon about why.

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
Oh yeah, churches are sneaky. Our preacher used to say things like "Well, I can't tell you who to vote for but this is who I am voting for...." and then he'd go on to give a sermon about why.

That's actually illegal, if the church wishes to retain it's tax-exempt status.

The law is very clear-- even though churches violate it daily....

Sadly, few if any local law-enforcement will prosecute-- tax fraud (which is what it is) is usually handled by the IRS.

Aaaaaand, the IRS is 'handled' by the Current Occupant, whomever he/she may be.

Thus churches get off scott-free, and breaking the law....

....nice.

;banghead;

neilmarr
Why should religious organisations be tax exempt anyway? They'd only be taxed on profits ... and, surely, there shouldn't be any. Neil

Bob of QF
neilmarr wrote:
Why should religious organisations be tax exempt anyway? They'd only be taxed on profits ... and, surely, there shouldn't be any. Neil

I've said for years, that churches ought to pay taxes, just like any other organization.... I'm not a huge fan of tax exemption loopholes.

Too much opportunity for exploitation.

Jump to Forum: