View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Day 2, & am feeling right at home
ThomasE2U
I posted a reply a little earlier to Hypatia, I think, but wanted to fill in some of the gaps. I'm a 51 y.o. divorced guy, pretty liberal, I don't much care what others do, as long as they keep it to themselves. I am though, quite disturbed by the union of the "T-potty", RWNJ's & all the other freak shows out there.

I am a member of "ACNI", which is the Atheist Community of NW Indiana. We have a meet-up scheduled for tomorrow,-2/19/11 & it really couldn't come fast enough! I've been watching a lot of the ME uprisings, & the Wisconsin State employees' struggles, & am hopeful we can reign in the power grab sought by those in power.

I find it sadly amusing how the "Haves" all seem to use their perverted ideology of Xtianity to promote their agenda.

I stated that I live in IN., 60mi. east of Chi. & 30 mi. west of Notre Dame Univ., my little city is basically made up of banks, bars & Bible thumpers, it would be funny, if it weren't so sad. I do log-on often to DU & a lot of other progressive sites, & am trying to do what I can to restore a little sanity back into our political arena.

I'm quite sure that I'll be here often, I'm already enjoying the videos I've seen posted. Thank you to all "like-minded" free thinkers, truly, - Tom

catman
Tom: Welcome to the boards. I'm looking forward to reading more from you. I live in Fort Worth, TX, not exactly a haven for freethinking, although the North Texas Church of Freethought is about 25 miles away. I'm 64 and a professional musician. - Joe
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
Oddly enough, I have lived my whole life in California but have some knowledge of your area. My father's grandfather homesteaded land near Rockford, a cousin lived in South Bend, and another cousin had a cottage in the Indiana Dunes which was eventually bought to become part of one of the parks there. I have not been there in a while because all my connections have died.

I cannot remember ever stopping in Gary, but one only has to take the train through or drive by to see it is one of the saddest cities in the country. The only other town that I have ever seen that is so obviously sad is Detroit.

seeker
Welcome to the site
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
Welcome Thomas, hope you enjoy your time with us. Smile

Theory_Execution
Fuck me, way to introduce yourselves to the new guy - death and misery.

Im a spriteful 24 Thomas, currently eating tuna pasta mayo because I have been out drinking and didn't want to waste the funds on a take out.

JohnH
TE, it is none of my business but you sound pained.
Edited by JohnH on 02/19/2011 03:25

Cynic
Welcome, Tom! I'm fairly liberal myself, but in an era where the GOP has been branded liberal, who isn't? ;-) I think what distresses me most concerning religion and politics are the acceptability to use one's religious affiliation as a litmus test and the blatant attempts at voter persuasion that goes on in a lot of churches.
Edited by Cynic on 02/19/2011 13:55

ThomasE2U
Agreed cynic, wouldn't it be sweet to hear ONE politician say "I am an Atheist", I truly do believe all of us are Atheists, but we who have "come-out"-(LMFAO) are the only with the balls to publicly say it.

Most people know that the Bible is a big bunch of bull shit, they just use it to promote their own biases, distortions, etc.

I hope someday soon, we can tax these fucking liars, there is no way they should be getting away scot-free, all forms of entertainment are subject to taxation.

I also saw on some other news outlet, another 37 "priests". I think in the Philly area, are under investigation for sexual abuse.
How many catholics are gonna just pray for them? Are you fucking kidding me?!!!
Ok folks, it's 10p in the Chicagoland area, time to call it a day, as soon as I can figure out how to reply to each post I got, I'll drop a thanks to all for their warm welcome.

Theory_Execution
Hey JohnH - I had quite a lot to drink, nothing more to it than that, was good tuna pasta in the end.

catman
Yes, but which end? Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Ha, iv no pasta left, so no tuna pasta today.

Also got knocked off my bicycle, my hip hurts. My bikes in the shop being fixed. Ill most likely have tomorrow off work.

Got it all on camera tho, I invested in a headcam and a rear cam. The rear cam dropped picture when I collided - but kept up recording the sound - and the head cam carrier on recording all the way.

catman
Great about the camera! I hope your hip is not seriously injured.

Theory_Execution
Im just bruised it seems, thinking of taking the day off - its two busses and 25-30 minutes of walking otherwise.

Hopefully ill be able to get straight back on on Wednesday.

Overall the guy was pretty good about it, he did stop (whether because I pointed to the camera or not), did apologise, did accept responsibility, met me at the bicycle shop, paid for the repairs the shop spotted and then gave me a lift home.

If i wake up tomorrow in agony, iv got a damn clear picture of his face, his car with plate and his mobile no. Also know what he studies and where (assuming he was honest, which it came across as such).

Now if only more people could be like that guy . . . but with better driver awareness.

Hypatia
Glad you weren't banged up any more than you were T_E. Lucky that.

What an excellent idea the cameras were - good thinking.

catman
It does make one wonder whether or not he would have stopped if he hadn't been alerted to the camera. I'll be nice and say that he likely would have. Anyway, I hope you recover quickly.

Theory_Execution
I really think he would have stopped - I just would have been a lot more nervous about him driving round the corner and me limping to the shop if id not had them.

Just called into work, told reception that I wont be in, going to call my immediate boss once he turn up - is usually in by 9.

Doubting Thomas
I'd like to say welcome to the other Tom here. I, too, live in bible-thumper land, but where isn't in our country today?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: