View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
McCain announces his VP choice
Skeeve
They haven't got a snowballs chance in August. Gov. Sarah Palin, a relatively unknown Republican, is the VP nominee. She may be unknown to many, but she fits right in.

http://www.americ...palin.html

They are actually talking like they have a viable candidate that is going to take away all of the Hillary crowd from Obama. :rolleyes:
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
Well if I were president, I'd want her sitting on my staff.

Giggity Giggity! Heh, heh.... Oh riiiiight!

seeker
Well she and Hillary both have tits and vaginas. i guess to Republicans that is close enough.

I think the only chance Republicans have this year is to go low and play to the inherant racism in this country. i think that the crucial issue that has yet to be answered is will people vote for a black guy?

catman
That's a consideration, but the difference in campaigns is striking. The Democrats are saying that there is a way out of the mess we are in and offering hope, while the Republicans are relying on character assasination and fear. It seems to me that some of the more conservative Republicans will be turned off by a woman as the VP nominee. Most Democrats will not be averse to voting for a black guy, IMO.

I am surprised that so many former Hillary supporters say they will vote for McCain. WTF? That seems incredible.
Edited by catman on 08/29/2008 17:00
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
I think a lot of the people who are saying that they voted for Hillary and now will vote for McCain are just Republicans trying to sow some dissent.

catman
I just heard a comment on the local TV news that Sarah Palin was chosen by the Republicans in order to attract disenchanted Hillary supporters. That may reflect the stupidity of the local news as much as anything else. I can hardly imagine anyone voting Republican simply because they nominated a woman for VP. Sarah Palin is only slightly to the left of Attila the Hun.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
seeker wrote:
Well she and Hillary both have tits and vaginas. i guess to Republicans that is close enough.

I think the only chance Republicans have this year is to go low and play to the inherant racism in this country. i think that the crucial issue that has yet to be answered is will people vote for a black guy?

Wanna hear something sad and repulsive? My husband has overheard many people in this racist town make comments about how they'd never vote for "a black".

If this is what they say when they are within earshot of a Hispanic guy in uniform, imagine what the fucktards say in private.

Scary.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
I just heard a comment on the local TV news that Sarah Palin was chosen by the Republicans in order to attract disenchanted Hillary supporters. That may reflect the stupidity of the local news as much as anything else. I can hardly imagine anyone voting Republican simply because they nominated a woman for VP. Sarah Palin is only slightly to the left of Attila the Hun.

Idiots.

Last I heard, she was a creationist, a climate-change denier, an anti-abortionist and so forth.

You know-- typical right-wing fundamentalist christian dogma.

AND she'll be but one ancient, feeble heart-beat from Commander In Chief if McSame gets in....

....shudder. Makes "President Quayle" seem, well not that bad...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
I hadn't heard that she was a creationist, but they were saying that she is anti-abortion & anti-gay-marriage, so it doesn't sound surprising that she'd be a creationist too.

Still I'm predicting a huge upswing in the poles. Grin

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I hadn't heard that she was a creationist, but they were saying that she is anti-abortion & anti-gay-marriage, so it doesn't sound surprising that she'd be a creationist too.

Still I'm predicting a huge upswing in the poles. Grin

I'm trying to find confirmation on that (creationist).

Not easy to pin politicians down-- you'd think it'd be easy.... :rolleyes:

Edit: Okay, it's WORSE that I thought, actually....

From http://www.latime...193.column

Palin is emphatically not that sort of woman. She is, however, the sort who fires the enthusiasm of the religious right and the GOP's socially conservative wing. That's where her presence on the ticket really helps McCain, whose popularity in that crucial part of the Republican base never has been better than tepid. As a correspondent for the Christian Broadcasting Network reported Friday, evangelical leaders literally hugged each other "in joy" when Palin's name was announced.

It's easy to see why. Palin is an evangelical Christian, a creationist and opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage. (Alaska was one of the first states to amend its constitution to prohibit same-sex marriage, and Palin supported that 1998 measure.) She also happens to be a lifetime member of the National Rifle Assn. and a hunting and fishing enthusiast whose favorite dish is moose stew.

Aaaaaaagh! Can anyone say, "theocracy"?
Edited by Bob of QF on 08/30/2008 01:45

catman
She is against abortion and gay marriage. I don't know whether or not she is a creationist, but my guess is that she is.

(An upswing in the poles? That will mess up the earth's rotation.)Grin

Bob of QF
See my post above -- edited w/new info

catman
I would have been surprised if she had been otherwise.Cry

General-Pryce
This is disgucting- I saw the news on MSN and came straight over here. This is criminal! If the republicans get in it'll be an atrocity to the continued progress of society. MPs over here tend to keep their religious views quiet and only the stupidest admit to their homophobia, as they all know by admitting something like that they'd never stand a chance of election.

This woman is evil.

climate change denier
pro-life
homophobic
creationist
evangelical

The scary thing is that there are millions of voters willing to support her.

neilmarr
A baby in her arms one minute ('he wants to be here' -- right to life) and firing off an assault weapon in the next frame. The woman must be clinically insane. Likewise anyone with the crass stupidity to help vote her into any office other than that of sewer rat catcher. Even then, I wouldn't want her in my sewer. I have more respect for shite and used toilet paper than to force such disreputable company upon it. Neil

Skeeve
If, with this move, McCain actually does garner support from women ONLY because he chose a woman as VP, I think we can classify a subset of people more stupid than the average fundie.

The only reason for this choice can be put on a slogan or banner as such:

VOTE FOR ME AND PUT A VAGINA IN OFFICE!

Not only is he trying to gain more fundie support with this, he is also playing on the "woman in the whitehouse" meme that has been a center of the Hillary campaign and now is being shopped around with McCain.

Being female or being black is not a reason to vote for the President of the United States. This is just a tactic to get the majority of the dumb vote. A quite large voting block, if past elections are any indication.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
Skeeve wrote:Being female or being black is not a reason to vote for the President of the United States. This is just a tactic to get the majority of the dumb vote. A quite large voting block, if past elections are any indication.

Was it P.T.Barnum who said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"? After the 2004 election, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it works.

To my way of thinking, women like Sarah Palin are traitors to their own gender. They want to take away the authority to make decisions about their own bodies and give it back to the old men who run their churches. The worst sort of collaborationism.

seeker
RayvenAlandria wrote:
seeker wrote:

Wanna hear something sad and repulsive? My husband has overheard many people in this racist town make comments about how they'd never vote for "a black".

If this is what they say when they are within earshot of a Hispanic guy in uniform, imagine what the fucktards say in private.

Scary.
Trust me, I hear that kind of thing all the time here in Colorado. I had my fingers crossed the whole time Obama was speaking because I was worried that some idiot would jump up on stage.

Kallistie
Urk. I have no doubt she'll attract some disaffected Hillarians. Even if it means betraying a hell of a lot of ideals they supposedly held as Democrats. ;crazy;

seeker
Since when has loyalty been a hallmark of Conservatism? These are the people who happilly abandon the poor, the disenfranchised and the downtrodden as being not something they can afford to be concerned about. Their entire appeal to the electorate is based on an unwillingness to pay for good government.

Why would it ever occur to people like that that a woman (or anyone) would have anything but self interest at heart? They count on women being so wrapped up in their own families and concerns that they won't care about ideals like equal rights or social justice.

Jump to Forum: