View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Some in Texas town blaming young girl in assault
Skeeve
This is the epitome of disgusting:

A meeting Thursday night that was billed as a way to discuss concerns some have about the investigation into a series of alleged sexual assaults on an 11-year-old girl turned into a forum that many used to blame the girl police contend is the victim of heinous attacks.

Many who attended the meeting said they supported the group of men and boys who have been charged in the case. Supporters didn't claim that the men and boys did not have sex with the young girl; instead they blamed the girl for the way she dressed or claimed she must have lied about her age accusations that have drawn strong responses from those who note an 11-year-old cannot consent to sex and that it doesn't matter how she was dressed.

11 years old, and it's her fault for getting raped...repeatedly.

Read more about this piece of shit town and its piece of shit townspeople.
Edited by Skeeve on 03/11/2011 15:01

catman
Unbelievable. Well, not really.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
It's Texas, what do you expect?

I read FSTDT.com (Fundies Say The Darndest Things) daily, and these kind of quotes blaming the victim for her own rape are all too common. In fact there was one recently stating that a 12-year-old rape victim who is now pregnant from the rape shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion, and should have "taken care of it at the hospital," whatever that was supposed to mean.

And in the past there have been quotes by rape apologists that were just plain disgusting. Too many idiots in our society just don't understand that rape has nothing to do with sex and is all about power.

Regardless of how someone is dressed, there is no excuse for rape. It's like saying that I had no choice but to rob a guy walking down the street wearing a suit & Rolex and counting a wad of cash. If he hadn't been dressed so richly I wouldn't have been stirred by the uncontrollable desire to rob him.

Authorities have arrested 18 people, including two of Cleveland's star high school athletes

Ahh, that's why they're siding with the suspects. If you're a football player in Texas, you have special rights.

Thursday's meeting was led by Quanell X, an activist prominent in Houston's black community. He told the audience of more than 130 people who had packed a small community center that the gathering's goal was not to criticize the girl but to question the investigation by police, although he did question why she didn't report the attack to authorities herself.

"I did not come here this evening to jump on an 11-year-old girl," he said.

Unfortunate choice of words.

"She lied about her age. Them boys didn't rape her. She wanted this to happen. I'm not taking nobody's side, but if she hadn't put herself in that predicament, this would have never happened," said Angie Woods, who lives in Houston but grew up in Cleveland.

It doesn't matter, since a child can't give consent. The age of consent is 17 in Texas.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 03/11/2011 16:25
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Sick, sad world.

And you're correct, DT: in Texas, there are two religions: Church and Football.

Which one is foremost >only< depends on what day it is...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
It isn't a new thing for some people to think an assault victim is to blame for the assault because of the way the victim dressed or behaved. But an 11 year old??!! For fuck's sake. It's like almost an entire town of idiots, between the people who abused this girl and the ones who are blaming her.Unreal.

Authorities began investigating in December after a friend of the girl told a teacher he had seen a lurid cell phone video that showed the girl being raped.

Police investigators determined it was recorded inside an abandoned mobile home on the city's northern outskirts. The girl told investigators she was raped on Nov. 28, first at a house near the mobile home and then at the trailer.

And we're supposed to also swallow that she also consented to being recorded while having this consensual sex, in filthy, disgusting abandoned mobile homes.

Yeah. NO.

She really wanted to have sex with all these people, and wanted to do it in the apparent circumstances and conditions there were? Why would she hang out with little girls her age and do all the things 11 year old girls do, and why would she want to be in the (hopefully) comfort of her own home with her family when she could be some place with filthy, disgusting men to whom she's nothing more than an entertainment center (remember - she's savvy because she supposedly dresses inappropriately for her age)? Surely being an entertainment center for as many men as possible, in some of the worst conditions we can think of, has been her aspiration since she first discovered thong underwear and eyeliner.

And I want to know - where the fuck were her parents or caretakers when this was going on - on at least three occasions with at least 18 other people possibly having knowledge of or being involved in it?

Something is deeply, deeply wrong with these people who are blaming her, in any way, shape or form, and it's pretty fucking frightening and thoroughly disturbing.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
It's Texas, what do you expect?

I read FSTDT.com (Fundies Say The Darndest Things) daily, and these kind of quotes blaming the victim for her own rape are all too common. In fact there was one recently stating that a 12-year-old rape victim who is now pregnant from the rape shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion, and should have "taken care of it at the hospital," whatever that was supposed to mean.

And in the past there have been quotes by rape apologists that were just plain disgusting. Too many idiots in our society just don't understand that rape has nothing to do with sex and is all about power.

Regardless of how someone is dressed, there is no excuse for rape. It's like saying that I had no choice but to rob a guy walking down the street wearing a suit & Rolex and counting a wad of cash. If he hadn't been dressed so richly I wouldn't have been stirred by the uncontrollable desire to rob him.

Authorities have arrested 18 people, including two of Cleveland's star high school athletes

Ahh, that's why they're siding with the suspects. If you're a football player in Texas, you have special rights.

Thursday's meeting was led by Quanell X, an activist prominent in Houston's black community. He told the audience of more than 130 people who had packed a small community center that the gathering's goal was not to criticize the girl but to question the investigation by police, although he did question why she didn't report the attack to authorities herself.

"I did not come here this evening to jump on an 11-year-old girl," he said.

Unfortunate choice of words.

"She lied about her age. Them boys didn't rape her. She wanted this to happen. I'm not taking nobody's side, but if she hadn't put herself in that predicament, this would have never happened," said Angie Woods, who lives in Houston but grew up in Cleveland.

It doesn't matter, since a child can't give consent. The age of consent is 17 in Texas.

That, and as pointed out but worth reiterating because this is what it really boils down to, with children there is the extenuating circumstance of them not being able to consent to these acts, and regardless of what people think of the child victim, or how much they like and respect the accused, and have always known them to be fine upstanding people, it never negates the consent issue, even if they can't think of it in any other terms.

JohnH
Oh my this is difficult. There is a woman I have known since she was 11 or so. She was beautiful then and remains so. On occasion in the intervening years I have thought of sex with her. Not when she was a child but now that she is an an adult, recently becoming 40.

I would not and could not do that. But, I am a man I sometimes have inappropriate thoughts.

Acting on those sort of thoughts is evil. It must be constrained.

The other hand of this is, if I had female children they would be severely chastised if they wanted to wear tight pants with something printed on their ass.

We as a culture must do two very important things regarding females.

We must not objectify them as sources only of pleasure.

Males must resist the impulses to breed when those impulses are wrong.

catman
What is wrong with wanting to do it now, if she is 40? She's not a child any more. Of course, I don't know the particulars.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Kowboy

And I want to know - where the fuck were her parents or caretakers when this was going on - on at least three occasions with at least 18 other people possibly having knowledge of or being involved in it?.

Now we are getting somewhere. It isn't like this girl was just walking down the street and was attacked randomly several times. If we are going to find out what went wrong here, let's look at all the players not just the obvious ones that should have known better.
Edited by Kowboy on 03/14/2011 23:04

JohnH
Kowboy, I may disagree with you on a lot of things but here you are absolutely correct. Where were the people responsible for this child.

A greater question, unfortunately, is how do we deal with children who no one will take responsibility for, or who are incapable of taking responsibility for.

I think we may be in agreement that it is not the state.

Jump to Forum: