View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Pseudo-Science
 Print Thread
Stop Sylvia Browne!
catman
I've never heard of that show either. What a load of meadow muffins.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I've heard of that show but never saw it. I think these days whenever I see the word "psychic" in the title of a program I roll my eyes and turn the channel. I know shows like that shouldn't bother me, but I usually end up screaming at the TV screen because of the willful gullibility and unbridled credence they give to these subjects. On occasion some shows have a token skeptic but they usually don't have much of a say or represent the voice of reason.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Doubting Thomas
Speaking of TV shows, does anyone know if John Edwards still has his show on? Is he still huckstering people grieving for dead family members?

Bob of QF
Haven't seen it in quite awhile, not even in the small hours of early morning as a re-run.

On the other hand, SciFi is still running those idiotic ghost hunter shows (I forget what they are called...)
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
I think it is called "Ghost Hunters." I've never seen an episode but it looks like they probably manufacture their own scary situations.

neilmarr
You blokes ever come across an excellent US magazine called the Skeptical Inquirer?

I used o get delivered by subscription, but it look so long the arrive at my home in France that all the material was already posted on the organisation's website.

It was set up specifically to investigate and debunk psychic claims but has now spread its interest base into other fascinating areas of research. Its online archives are a real eye-opener.

Highly recommended. Neil

catman
Yes. I subscribed to it for a while. It's a good magazine, put out by Americans United for the Separation of Church and State (AU).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I read it on occasion, lots of good articles in there debunking paranormal claims.

Doubting Thomas
I guess the URL has changed. The site is now located at [url]http://stopsylvia.com[/url]

Looks like no new articles have been added since July 2008 though. The owner of the site has been ill since August 2008, so I guess that's why it hasn't been updated.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 10/31/2009 08:57

Sinny
I like that they debunk all psychic nonsense but I can't see singling out Sylvia Brown. From what I remember about her she only charges a monetary fee for herself and for her travel expenses. What I hate is that she cons people into believing she can help them and I especially hate that this crap has become so popular because of psychic babble bullshit that now children are being brainwashed into thinking they are psychic. It's sickening.

Sinny
Psychic babble baloney [bullshit] belongs on TV. Not in the real world we live in. I can see watching a TV show, movie and it becomes almost real in our imagination while watching. Only to escape the everyday stress and our own reality we sometimes need to get the hell away from. Same with reading books of tall tails and fantasy with some fantastic stories while knowing it's just for fun.

Thing is people are so stupid and already brainwashed to believe the supernatural crap is real thanks to religious teachings that they easily become conned by psychics and a lot of other idiocy portrayed as real and true.

Doubting Thomas
Oh Sylvia Browne charges, all right. I think it's $1000 for a one-hour phone call. Make no mistake, she is a millionaire who has made all her money from her supposed "psychic" powers and her "church." She's nothing but a con artist, and I think the reason he's singled her out is because of the way she pretends to give people who have missing loved ones hope. Of course she always gets it wrong. I guess that's what burns me, too, is that she basically preyed on people who are desperate for any information on their missing loved ones. Montel should have been ashamed to have her on his show. I think he must have just been a ratings whore who didn't care if she was full of shit or not.

Jump to Forum: