View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » LGBT
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
PA man, 70, stoned to death by friend
Skeeve
The Bible, wonderful place to get your morals:

Authorities in suburban Philadelphia say a 70-year-old man was stoned to death with a rock stuffed in a sock by a younger friend who alleged the victim made unwanted sexual advances.

According to the criminal complaint, 28-year-old John Thomas of Lansdowne has told police he killed 70-year-old Murray Seidman because the Old Testament refers to stoning homosexuals.

Story at SFGate
Edited by Skeeve on 03/18/2011 18:38

JohnH
According to the article the killer is the sole beneficiary and executor of the dead man's will. I wonder if this really about unwanted advances. It sounds a lot more like a good excuse after the killer was caught.

Skeeve
"Gay panic" sure is a nice catch-all to violence.

Hypatia
Skeeve wrote:
"Gay panic" sure is a nice catch-all to violence.

Like John, the fact that this guy was the sole beneficiary and executor gets my attention right away.

But doesn't it sound like this guy is maybe a just a little 'slow minded'?

"I stoned Murray with a rock in a sock," Thomas told police, according to the criminal complaint. Thomas was arrested and charged with murder Friday.

Grant it, that's just one sentence. But it's hard to get an idea from just this whether the guy really thought the victim was gay and that he should kill him because it's referred to in the bible, because he was pissed that the old man made a pass at him (allegedly), or if he was tired of waiting for the man to die because he was the beneficiary.

But he doesn't see people around him stoning gay people, not even the religious (much as many of them may want to), and people who murder can be pretty stupid, but could he really have thought he could murder the guy and then say it was because the man made a pass at him, or because the man was gay and because he's so religious he had to handle it 'biblically'? None of that makes any sense - surely he didn't think anyone would buy either of those excuses and that he'd get away with it. So he's either slow somehow, or a little more stupid than the average criminal.

Well, I guess that's one reason why we have trials.

seeker
I wonder if he believes the excuse he gave.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
Good question. Some "friend".
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Just goes to show: if you poison your brains with bible?

You are apt to have somewhat less of them eventually...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: