View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cardinal William Levada
JohnH
I do not remember if I posted this before, and my apologies if I did. I have to admit I do not know what reminded me of it today.

This man now in charge at the vatican of adjudicating sexual abuse cases was once bishop of the archdiocese of San Francisco so I know something of his history. Prior to that he headed the archdiocese of Portland and prior to that he had some position of power in Los Angeles.

In all three locations he helped suppress information on sexual abuse and sanctioned or removed priests only when absolutely forced too. In some cases the removal was simply to a new church far away from the old one.

http://www.nytime...iamjlevada

The vatican just keeps on keeping on. Although in all fairness I seem to remember reading that in a few recent cases they have acted quickly and forcefully. Probably a strictly monetary response, they have lost a lot of money in suits and that church does like its money.

As an aside I read most of the Wikipedia entry on Levada and found not a hint of this information. Perhaps I should try and add this article to the reference list. Once again it seems that all the Wikipedia entries about religions tend to cover up the dirt.
Edited by JohnH on 03/22/2011 19:25

Theory_Execution
That is the problem with Wikipedia, it is not a reliable source of information, it is essentially a personal ad board for the disparate hankerings of madmen.

Although some of it is good reading.

JohnH
As I said above the Vatican just keeps on keeping on.

http://www.counte...gade-nuns/

I was going to copy the first three or four paragraphs and post those because they are the most pertinent to the OP but I thought the whole may be of interest to some.

I had kept track (to some extent) with Levada because I knew of his involvement with scandals in the Bay Area. I did not know before seeing this that Law from Boston was essentially rewarded also.

Just a comment TE, I find wikipedia very useful for general information and when there is no controversy it has usually been accurate to my eye. For what its worth looking at the current wiki entry on Levada his involvement in sex scandals at least gets a few column inches.

I also cannot recommend the source site highly enough. The kind of analysis that the main stream press stays away from. Remember it mostly comes from a quite left perspective and must be read as such and like all publications that are dominated by a single person some articles will reflect that persons beliefs quite strongly, even if incorrect.

This correction appeared recently.

Last week I said that Pope Benedict had made Cardinal Bernard Law the Archpriest of St. Mary Major Basilica in Rome. The appointment was made by Pope John Paul II.
Edited by JohnH on 06/16/2012 14:44

Theory_Execution
JohnH:Just a comment TE, I find wikipedia very useful for general information and when there is no controversy it has usually been accurate to my eye.

I do use Wikipedia a lot, especially if it is something I do not know much about, it does well with the overview of a subject. Yet there are things that are not discussed in detail - for instance, the method of harvesting cork...

from the linkDuring his tenure many priests under his supervision engaged in inappropriate conduct with children.

This really annoys me in reporting of these stories, it is not 'inappropriate conduct with children', teaching kids to swear or lie to their parents in inappropriate, what they have engaged in is child rape and battery, on an industrial scale!

JohnH
TE, yes far too often reporters mince their words when dealing with priests who commit child rape and battery. When you are dealing with as rich and powerful an entity as the Roman (it is anything but catholic) Church mincing words may be the only way to avoid being sued. Only after conviction could such words be chosen and the conviction would probably be for child molestation. Another problem with correct description is that often victims are ashamed of what happened and take many years to tell someone about what happened, sometimes past the statute of limitations and no criminal case may be attempted. A situation that has been corrected to some extent by extending the statute of limitations for child molestation, but then muddied by the whole controversy over recovered memory.

On a much lighter note I checked the Wiki entry on cork and it does present if not a detailed description a description of how to harvest cork. I would not want to use it as a training description but it suffices for the layperson. Oddly enough I live approximately 400 meters from a small cork plantation. There are were I live occasional planted areas in the middle of the street. One near by is planted in 10+- cork oaks. If you know what they look like you will see them all over California. Sometime many years ago I passed what was obviously intended to be a cork plantation in the lower Sacramento Valley, too many years ago to remember where. I once stopped the company car on a road in Alameda Co. and cut off a piece of bark to prove to a boss, yes these were cork oaks lining the road.

To the best of my knowledge harvesting of cork bark in the US has never really been pursued, except to a small degree during WW2. I have been tempted to write the local government suggesting that those cork trees be harvested. It could provide a lesson in how urban areas could provide agricultural products if used for such.

I better go out and water my tomatoes and peppers.

Theory_Execution
TE, yes far too often reporters mince their words when dealing with priests who commit child rape and battery. When you are dealing with as rich and powerful an entity as the Roman (it is anything but catholic) Church mincing words may be the only way to avoid being sued.

Then the business of reporting the events of the world is not the career for these cowards.

On another note, there is a lot of talk about atheist ministers/priests/pastors at the moment, and yes, I do feel for those who are in small churches and cannot leave easily because it is all they have ever known - but when it comes to the RC Church, I can no longer have any respect for a single member of that institution.

I believe the cork oaks can be harvested for 200 years.

Jump to Forum: