View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cat can't quite clear the baby gate
cheshiredragon
As much as I despise cats(sorry catman) I found this video to be classic.
I laughed so hard at it and I will laugh again.

For some reason the video won't embed properly so here is the link to the page

http://www.break....kflip.html

catman
All I could think of was "Ouch! Poor kitty!" You must really despise cats.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
I don't HATE any animal with such a passion that I wish it death. Just don't make me the deciding member in a group to jump in the river to save kittens in a sack.
I find this video funny because I have seen cats in action and even seen them work a baby gate. A cat could easily jump OVER the gate or on top of the gate and quickly jump off as it wobbles a bit, but this cat didn't do either. Look at the way this cat jumps. There is something clearly wrong with it. It may have been a fluke for the owner just being able to "catch" a funny act OR this cat is dumb as a brick and does it all the time and that is how the owner knew.

Bob of QF
The idea that all cats are graceful jumpers is as ludicrous as the idea that all men like football or that all women are excellent cooks.

Cats have varying levels of dexterity just like humans-- and some are quite clumsy.

Since humans have domesticated the species, high dexterity is no longer a required trait for survival. Cuteness, on the other hand, is...

I have a grey tabby who was quite the clumsy jumper when he was small-- but he got better with practice. Now? He looks graceful when he jumps--usually. Sometimes, when he's trying a new jumping event, he bobbles it, and badly. It usually takes him several tries to get how much force he needs, down to appear graceful.

My little black cat, on the other hand, does not jump often--but when she does, she looks like she invented the sport--first time looks as graceful as a ballet.

The cat in the video did not look seriously hurt-- cat's weight-to-surface area is much, much lower than for a human. And, cat's bones are more flexible than a human's too-- no need for super-rigid bones in such a small, low mass (relatively) animal.

So the cat may be jumping and tumbling over the rail because she likes the effect-- not unlike a little kid swinging really high, then leaping out of the swing-seat into the air... for a kid, this is not usually a problem. For an adult human? Not so much...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I think the cat miscalculated its abilities and simply couldn't clear the gate. It looked painful to me, but who can say? Most cats are pretty darn graceful, but of course some are more than others. This cat was probably young and didn't realize its limitations. I doubt that it was seriously injured, but I didn't see anything 'wrong with it' or see much humor in its unsuccessful attempt. It seemed too much like Schadenfreude to laugh at it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
Bob of QF wrote:
So the cat may be jumping and tumbling over the rail because she likes the effect-- not unlike a little kid swinging really high, then leaping out of the swing-seat into the air... for a kid, this is not usually a problem. For an adult human? Not so much...

I am going to the park and jump out of a swing and post the video to prove you that at 31 i can still be a kid. I did this last week, no wait, err about a month ago.

catman wrote:
It seemed too much like Schadenfreude to laugh at it.

I pull a Schadenfreude every time I think of Schrödinger's cat HAHAHA

catman
I think it would be fun to go jump out of a swing, but at 64 I might break something. Besides, I hate those new fabric seats on swings. I still like to ride my bicycle, although my motorcycle has spoiled me.

Hypatia
I can't really tell if the cat couldn't, or just didn't for some reason, lift it's back legs up, over and out the way like it should have. It seems like the people nearby kind of took notice? So hopefully it was a one time thing and not something that happens every time it jumps.

I usually cringe at and don't really find all too funny the 'funny' videos where people or animals get hurt, but it seems to be kind of a common thread among a lot of them.
Edited by Hypatia on 04/02/2011 01:10

catman
Hypatia wrote:I usually cringe at and don't really find all too funny the 'funny' videos where people or animals get hurt, but it seems to be kind of a common thread among a lot of them.

Yes, it seems that way. I feel exactly the same way as you do about them.

Bob of QF
Here's a classic (internet fame-'classic' ) GIF of a cat trying to jump from a monitor to the top of a shelf.

http://thechive.c...r-retards/

Clearly, the cat fails to make the shelf, and just as clearly is not hurt in the least.

Having lived with cats for years, I watched that clip over and over, trying to understand what went wrong-- that was not a kitten, who often misjudge jumps, but an adult cat in it's prime.

Look closely at the cat's hind feet-- she applied more than enough 'power' in her legs to make the leap, but she was betrayed by the super-smooth surface she started from-- the slick plastic of the monitor's case.

Not unlike a cat 'spinning out' on a slick kitchen-tile floor, actually.

If you look at the vectors involved, the cat must apply upward thrust as well as forward thrust at the same time. Her trajectory ought to have been a roughly 50-60 degree incline--had her back claws found purchase. Notice how much her rear legs slip backwards and how quickly-- way, way too much than what should have taken place (from the cat's perspective). See how her back-end sort of flips up in the air ungracefully?

What resulted, though, was likely scratches in the monitor, and a rather silly looking too-low parabola instead.

Funny? You betcha.

But also quite interesting in detail.
Edited by Bob of QF on 04/03/2011 09:33
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: