View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Why I hate Linda Ronstadt
JohnH
A beautiful and transcendent voice, one that can copy anything. But, that is all that she does.

No original nature to her music, all stolen from others. A voice without a muse. Beautiful but without soul.

Hypatia
JohnH wrote:
A beautiful and transcendent voice, one that can copy anything. But, that is all that she does.

No original nature to her music, all stolen from others. A voice without a muse. Beautiful but without soul.

While I'm hard pressed to think of which songs Linda Ronstadt has written herself (and she has written some), she does mostly do copy tunes. But then, there are many performers who don't write anything and only perform other people's music. Lots of performers are not original in that way.

I completely disagree that she sings without soul, but that's simply a matter of opinion and taste.

Something that has always favorably impressed me about her singing voice has been her ability to cross over into mulit-genre music. From rock and roll to opera to big band to mariachi to country to R &B and beyond, her voice can handle it all - beautifully and with amazing strength.

catman
I think she is quite a good singer technically, but when she does jazzy pop tunes, her voice seems to have a wooden quality, a sort of inflexibility. I wouldn'r call it 'soulless' but it just seems stiff. But she sounds great on stuff that suits her. Besides, how could I dislike anyone as cute as she was at the time of A Different Drum?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
This is a bit unfair. How could anyone compare well to Smokey. But listen to these two versions of "OOO Baby Baby". Tell my in all honesty which you prefer, and who copied from whom. She does an excellent version of "It's so Easy to Fall in Love" I will grant that.

http://www.youtub...Dfc9EZShRw

http://www.youtub...ThnUmWRCCs

Linda Ronstadt is a beautiful voice wasted on someone with no ability to provide original music. It is a shame.

JohnH
I offer as an example of when the theft of others music is acceptable. When it is done by people who have their own chops. I love Carole King, and do not insult her.

http://www.youtub...B8Mu_rnbLc

Edit. Opps I forgot this was a Carole King/Jerry Goffiin song in the first place. So the theft was only in the style.
Edited by JohnH on 05/08/2011 23:29

catman
You certainly have a dislike for Linda Ronstadt, and frankly I don't understand your vehemence. She isn't my favorite singer, but she is a good one.

Carole King I absolutely love. Jazzman was a truly great recording, to name just one. The first record I ever bought with my own money was Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles, a King-Goffin song.
Edited by catman on 05/09/2011 01:59
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
"Will You Still Love me Tomorrow", I am going to delve into my 45's. Thank you.

seeker
I have the same problem with Joan Baez, a great voice but no real creativity.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
Joan Baez has such a beautiful tone quality that creativity (or lack of it) doesn't matter much to me. She is certainly soulful and expressive, almost too much so on occasion. I'd say most singers don't compose music or lyrics, so it should be regarded as extra credit when they do and not as a requirement.
Edited by catman on 05/09/2011 15:18

JohnH
seeker, I will agree with you about Joan Baez it is not the beauty of the voice it is the delivery.

catman, I looked but could not find what I wanted to find. I think it is on the album with Nelson Riddle when Ronstadt copied a song right down to the breaths that I started to hate her. It is a weakness on my part I will agree. It is a weakness I will defend.

I will also admit that both Joan Baez and Linda Ronstadt were/are beautiful women that I have/had no chance with. This may uncomfortably effect my opinion.

catman
I might have the Nelson Riddle/Ronstadt CD. In any case, I've heard it. That's the one I thought she sounded stiff on. She did it well enough, but it simply didn't seem like she was well suited to it. It's kinda like listening to an upright bass player play electric bass.

Jump to Forum: