View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Texas Lifts HS Public Prayer at Graduation
Hypatia
It's because this article says the ruling allows students to say 'amen' and invite the audience to pray at high school graduation ceremonies that I'm putting this in 'Christianity'. I know that it can be said this ruling would/should theoretically apply to any student(s) who want to pray at the ceremony, regardless of religion, but my thoughts are that xtianity was the real reason behind this, and that it is expected the only prayers that will be said at these ceremonies are only those that would end with 'amen'. Let's see, I'm trying to count all the religions that end their prayers with 'amen'. Hmmmmm.

http://kfyo.com/p...f-appeals/

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A federal appeals court has lifted a ban on public prayer at a Texas high school graduation.

The ruling Friday reverses the decision of a lower court that sided with an agnostic family who sued the school district.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the Medina Valley Independent School District. The ruling allows students at the high school to say the words “amen” and invite the audience to pray during Saturday’s graduation ceremony.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Christa and Danny Schultz, whose son is graduating. The family’s suit was being backed by the Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

The Schultzes claim traditions at graduation, including the invocation and benediction, excluded their beliefs and violated their constitutional rights.

Statements by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott and Governor Rick Perry are included below.

Statement by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott

“It should not be illegal for students to say a prayer at a graduation ceremony. Now, the federal court of appeals agrees.

A misguided attempt to prevent graduating seniors from exercising their First Amendment rights has been thwarted–and the Medina Valley High School Class of 2011′s graduation speakers will no longer suffer from court-ordered censorship.

Today, a federal appeals court reversed an order by a lower court that unconstitutionally prohibited students from offering prayers during graduation ceremonies. Under a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the district judge’s injunction has been dissolved and all students’ First Amendment rights have been protected.”

Each new crack like this in the wall of separation allows for possible leaks into other areas of state/church separation that we have to be watching for.
Edited by Hypatia on 06/04/2011 12:49

catman
Certainly it shouldn't be illegal for students to say a prayer at a graduation ceremony...individually. But having someone lead the students over a PA should be illegal. Even if a majority of students are in favor of it, it amounts to tyranny of the majority, and definitely a breach in the wall of separation of church and state.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Operation Equal Air Time is needed then. That school needs an influx of muslim, jewish, hindu, scientologist, raylean (?), spiritualist and other apparent proponents to stand up at graduation and lead their prayers.

"There is but one god, Allah is his name and Mohammed is his prophet..." and see how well that goes down.

Also, the atheist kids should lead a nice moment of thought, reminding them all that it was through their own effort that they have graduated and to think a deity - creator of the universe has any interest in their passing grades is selfish and belittling of said deity.

Jump to Forum: