Nerd Humour
Photon
www.geeksaresexy.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mathjoke1.png
Edited by Photon on 06/19/2011 06:11

Theory_Execution
I do miss involved mathematics.

catman
Photon: Hahahaha!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
It has been too many years but the concept of the square root of -1 has some mathematical use.

Mathematics explains much, sometimes with the impossible or at least inexplicable.

Theory_Execution
Quark Model of Paricle Physics: Up and down, top and bottom, it's a strange system, but it works a charm.

Substitution and equations 'tending to' are two very important things in mathematics, but it seems people struggle with the concepts - which you can also see in general conversation about peoples deeply held beliefs.

I am a great believer in teaching real mathematics and science to students. Why do we have kids sit in school hashing out the same boring simple stuff (and often with science, the wrong stuff) when it is possible to offer a good chunk of the subjects for their digestion.

When I discuss this with people you get the unthinking, 'They're kids, it would be too difficult for them.' which I do not buy in the slightest - the imagination of a child is wild, if they can play for hours in an empty room and believe themselves to be on a pirate ship (or some such thing) then they can deal with a bit of maths.

And just look at all of the gadgets children master within mere minutes of getting them - hell the intelligence and ability to learn of children is the bedrock of the ever-up annual toy sales.

The only other argument I have from these people is that many of the children will not have a use for high end mathematics when they leave school - so why bother.

This one makes me sick, living in a democracy what you really want for your society is an informed and educated population, whether they go on to use this knowledge (mathematics is more of a skill right) in the professional world is unimportant in comparison to the improvement society would see as a whole.

Ermmm, im getting into a rant in the funny zone.

catman
That's fine with me. It deserves a rant. It isn't too difficult for the children; rather, it's too difficult for their doltish parents. Speaking of mathematics and democracy, the latter seems nowadays to be about celebrating the lowest common denominator. In other words, if it's too difficult for any of us, it's too difficult for all of us. We wouldn't want to be seen as elitist, would we?

Speaking of rants...!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Ha, that has been a thought catman - we would need to replace near all teachers with competent and intelligent people - what tends to be the case is that in the early stages of school teachers can get by with just being caring people.

The day your child stumps you with a question - that should be a brilliant day.

Photon
Hell, I'm stumped all the time by my kids. Today my son asked, "How long would it take for the chick to die in an egg if it laid on the snow or if they dropped it"? It lead to some research on penguins.

Interestingly, he's 6, and left out the word "penguins" in his question. Kids are like that. They think about something, then drop a question utterly devoid of context, and you have to puzzle out where the hell it came from.

I think he was thinking about March of the Penguins, but we watched that last summer, and hadn't talked about it since then to my knowledge. Kids are strange.

By the way, after doing research the answer was "I don't know, but a guess would be something on the order of a few tens of seconds to a few minutes".

How the hell would I know? I didn't guard my children's eggs, holding them on my feet insulated by my fat and feathers, huddled with hundreds of thousands of other men in a similar predicament, for two months, without food or sex, while my wife was out eating fish so she could puke it up on our newly hatched child.
Edited by Photon on 06/27/2011 02:53

Theory_Execution
Photon "I didn't ...."

You've never lived man.

Hehe, then you must live a good life with questions like that from your kids. How old is he though?

From my experience of young kids, through cousins - not thinking of having any myself - apparently a woman helps, they question a lot of things, then get to school age and slow down.

catman
Photon wrote:Interestingly, he's 6...

Theory_Execution
Good catch catman, the internets downfall - but also its brilliance - is that I can be engaged in so many things at the same time, in this instance, having teamspeak 3 open, watching a tv show and reading threads has caused me to miss the obvious.

Jump to Forum: