View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello everyone
bongocopter
It's a pleasure to meet all of you, and thank you for welcoming me to your community.

I'm a Canadian, a family man, and I work in high-tech (I was a musician in a former life). How do I come by the Atheists Today site? My father, uncle, and step-father all have PhDs in Theology or Church history, and my great-great-great uncle was Cardinal John Henry Newman (soon to be a saint, of all things: http://www.timeso...3421.ece). This, of course, made me a committed skeptic. :-) Science Saved my Soul, by Phil Hellenes encapsulates my views perfectly.

Perhaps more controversially, I think that the truly, deeply religious can't really be trusted, because someone who is willing to subordinate what he feels is right to what someone else tells him is holy is a person who is capable of committing any crime. On the other hand, being very well versed in the contents of the bible and the teachings of the church, I also think the person who really understands and believes is really quite rare. I actually don't know any true believers, even among the lifetime churchgoers in my family.

Skeeve
Welcome, bongocopter! Whew, with all that history in the family it's very surprising you did end up being a skeptic. Grin

It's always good to get new blood in the forum, a different perspective makes for more interesting conversation.

If you need anything, just hollar.

seeker
bongocopter wrote:
Perhaps more controversially, I think that the truly, deeply religious can't really be trusted, because someone who is willing to subordinate what he feels is right to what someone else tells him is holy is a person who is capable of committing any crime. On the other hand, being very well versed in the contents of the bible and the teachings of the church, I also think the person who really understands and believes is really quite rare. I actually don't know any true believers, even among the lifetime churchgoers in my family.

Nicely said. Welcome
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

bongocopter
Thanks for the welcome. I'm truly grateful that this forum exists, and that you have offered me welcome. :-)

Hypatia
Welcome bongocopter - pleased to have you among us. I hope you'll enjoy this cozy corner called AT.

Hypatia
Skeeve wrote:
Welcome, bongocopter! Whew, with all that history in the family it's very surprising you did end up being a skeptic. Grin

It's always good to get new blood in the forum, a different perspective makes for more interesting conversation.

If you need anything, just hollar.

But then, I think being exposed to that much religion also can give one plenty of reasons to learn to think skeptically.

bongocopter
But then, I think being exposed to that much religion also can give one plenty of reasons to learn to think skeptically.

Children of ministers or priests can pretty well always recognize each other: "I figured you were a PK..." (Priest's Kid).

There's nothing like hearing the bullshit all day every day to really drive home how empty it all is. On the other hand, it has given me the fodder for some highly entertaining conversations with the JWs at the door ;-).

catman
bongocopter: Glad to see a new member who actually posts, and quite well at that. I agree that the more one knows about theology, the sillier it all seems. I enjoy the Mormons' visits to my door!

I am a professional musician. Sometimes I think of it as 'the world's greatest hobby, the world's worst profession'. I play fretless electric bass and tuba professionally, and bass trombone, bass trumpet and contrabass clarinet for my own amusement. As you can see, I'm a 'low' character. Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

bongocopter
I am a professional musician. Sometimes I think of it as 'the world's greatest hobby, the world's worst profession'.

Ha ha. So true.

I play fretless electric bass and tuba professionally, and bass trombone, bass trumpet and contrabass clarinet for my own amusement. As you can see, I'm a 'low' character.

Those are some fine instruments, friend. I fully endorse your choice of Clef. ;-)

Theory_Execution
Welcome bongocopter.... we have had a few drive by trolls in the past, so I tend to get my barings by a quick googlewack. Thats how I knew the little about you I noted in the other thread.

Was it two Canadians we have here already? Im one of three brits I think, we lost one in the great fire of 2009.

Small websites like these are like social networking sites, populated by people whos opinions you actually generally respect.

Photon
Welcome bongocopter, nice to see another canuck here.

Jump to Forum: