View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Pseudo-Science
 Print Thread
UFOs
catman
I noticed that typo, too, but I let it slide without comment. I wouldn't want everyone to think of me as a Grammar Nazi.

I think people who are interested in UFOs fall into two categories: those with a healthy curiosity, and those who make an ersatz religion of it. (Ersatz religion: aren't they all, in a sense?) Yes, Neil, you're hard on UFOlogists, but many deserve it. Most who even mention them have more than an offhand curiosity, which is about all that a rational person should have, IMO.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Picking Bob up on the typo was meant in fun rather than in criticism, of course, Cat. I really do believe that some typos have a hidden meaning that transcends spelling and accuracy on the keyboard. They can be fascinating and revealing. At times, a good typo is worth a full page of less subtle explanation. Cheers. Neil

PS: My favourite is still a rejection letter I saw from a fellow editor telling the author that he had a great 'conceit' instead of a great 'concept'. That simple slip from the heart said it all, just as Bob's did in this thread. N

catman
Of course, Neil, I know that you were just having fun. The problem lies in not knowing whether a typo is really an insight into what the writer was thinking, or whether it's just a typo.

The substitution of 'conceit' for 'concept' is wonderful, whether meaningful or not! :lol: In that case, I'm inclined to think it was. It may even have been planned all along.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: