View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Correcting the Bible
Hypatia
This is the first I've heard about this project (53 years long now), but then, apparently it's the first most people are hearing about it.

http://www.msnbc....kajtWF8OSp

JERUSALEM A dull-looking chart projected on the wall of a university office in Jerusalem displayed a revelation that would startle many readers of the Old Testament: The sacred text that people revered in the past was not the same one we study today.

An ancient version of one book has an extra phrase. Another appears to have been revised to retroactively insert a prophecy after the events happened.

Scholars in this out-of-the-way corner of the Hebrew University campus have been quietly at work for 53 years on one of the most ambitious projects attempted in biblical studies publishing the authoritative edition of the Old Testament, also known as the Hebrew Bible, and tracking every single evolution of the text over centuries and millennia.

And it has evolved, despite deeply held beliefs to the contrary.

Of course we've known for a long time that there are errors and revisions like the ones these researchers are finding. But it's interesting how it seems to rarely cause believers to question whether the texts are really what they believe them to be in the first place.

Bob of QF
Interesting.

I wonder how many of the Jews involved are atheists, too?

I've been told (but cannot confirm) that many Jews are atheists.

Still, it's an interesting study from a historical perspective.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Photon
I wonder if they should approach Bible correction from a moral standpoint; there wouldn't be much left after the editing.

seeker
This is actually well known among biblical scholars. Most Christians lose it when they find out that the earliest versions of Mark did not include the Resurrection.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
seeker wrote:

This is actually well known among biblical scholars. Most Christians lose it when they find out that the earliest versions of Mark did not include the Resurrection.

That does not surprise me at all.

The 4 gospels are amalgamations of earlier sources, and not original according to scholars.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: