View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Home Circumcision
Hypatia
Home haircuts are one thing, but a home circumcision? Yep, thanks to mommy dearest reading the Old Testament and watching YT videos.

http://www.kmtr.c...a9gRw.cspx

An Oregon woman who tried to circumcise her 3-month-old son at home after reading the Old Testament and watching YouTube videos has been sentenced to five years of probation.

Multnomah County Circuit Judge Eric Bergstrom told Peterson on Monday that "the reality is you love your children and had absolutely no intent to harm your child."

Maybe she didn't want to slit her son's throat, but WTF did she think was going to happen if she did this to him at home? I have to vehemently disagree with this judge; she's got four children and she didn't know doing this would harm the baby? Unless she's severely mentally disabled I can't begin to imagine how she wouldn't know this would harm him.

I'm curious to know what YT videos she was watching, but the article doesn't say, so I presume they were religious in nature and touting circumcision.

Skeeve
Child abuse, plain and simple.

seeker
I'm not so sure that religiosity isn't a mental disability. Obviously this lady took it to an extreme but it doesn't sound like she needed a very hard push.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
I agree-- child abuse: regardless if it's a doctor butchering the kid, or some idiot and ignorant fundie.

There is zero sound medical (non-religious) reasons to circumcise a child, regardless of gender.

Sick fuck.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
The only arguments I have heard that near any medical evidence of a benefit are related to transmission of STDs and cleanliness. I have a full hooded penis, and I assure you it is no great effort to clean under it.

The STDs argument goes something like "The skin provides a high surface area full of blood vessells yada yada" - but we have the technology now that this is not a problem anymore. Its like continuing to cut of limbs over curable infections - but in this case it would be cutting off an arm over the slight chance that you may catch your fingers in a door one day and feel pain.

Cynic
Hypatia wrote:

Home haircuts are one thing, but a home circumcision?

Yes, 'Patia, the Flo-Bee is a versatile tool indeed.

</inappropriate humor>

cheshiredragon
Same, I also have a snake with a sweater and to keep it clean it is trivial. As for STDs I'll go with what the late Sam Kinison once said, "If you don't trust the pussy then why are you fscking the pussy." Seriously though even if you have slight concern, or you haven't had a vasectomy, I highly recommend condoms. They do work...
That's right, I said it...

Jump to Forum: