Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Oklahoma courthouse to display "In God We Trust"
Skeeve
The Ottawa County commissioners voted unanimously to approve a resolution Monday to display a motto in the courthouse that references God.

The proposal came before the commissioners after the county received a letter from two Springfield, Mo., attorneys asking that a resolution be passed allowing the motto to be put up. The letter stated that several cities across the country were displaying the motto.

But it was the possibility of litigation that led commissioners not to take any action on the resolution. Soon afterward, many Ottawa County residents let the commissioners know that they were in favor of displaying the motto. Many residents and church groups appeared before the commissioners at their weekly meetings to voice their support.

Every fucking year they pull this BS somewhere. Why do they try to shit on the Constitution at every turn?

[This is from May, just noticed the date of the article. American Atheists just posted this and I assumed it was new. Apologies.]

UPDATED: Newer link, same story. It appears this is still going forward- http://mcalestern...Courthouse
Edited by Skeeve on 08/23/2011 11:53

Photon
From the article:

The resolution called H. Con. Res. 13, came in a letter addressed to the McAlester City Hall as well as Pittsburg County commissioners from the law offices of Dee Wampler and Joseph Passanise, trial attorneys in Springfield, Mo. In the letter the government officials were are asked to consider posting “In God We Trust” prominently at the Pittsburg County Courthouse and McAlester City Hall. The letter says “hundreds of cities across the United States are doing so.”

Well, I guess if hundreds of cities are doing it, that must make it right. Did their mothers never tell them the "jump off a cliff" scenario?

“I ain’t got a problem with it,” said Dist. 1 Commissioner Gene Rogers after the May meeting. “I support it. I think it should be posted in the courthouse because the government supports this slogan and we support our government. I think it should be everywhere.

Right, who cares if it is unconstitutional? The government NEVER makes mistakes.

“I think it should already be up there. I don’t know anyone that wouldn’t want it posted around here.” said Dist. 3 Commissioner Ronnie Young.

I mean, I don't know any atheists or people who believe in separation of church and state. And since I don't know them, fuck them and their ideas.

Commission Chairman Kevin Smith supports the resolution to post “In God We Trust” in the courthouse and said the sign will be posted using county tax dollars. “I think it’s a good deal and it goes with our history and how our county was founded.”

Fuck, doesn't this kind of thing just grate on you U.S. citizens? Historical revisionism in order to legitimize one's personal opinion or religion. Did the Commission Chairman ever read the U.S. Constitution or Bill of Rights? Or for that matter wonder WHY god was specifically excluded from the document? It wasn't an accident, evangelicals were displeased at the time, and were voted down. Maybe he thinks counties can do whatever the hell they want in regards to the rights of its citizens?

Dee Wampler the author of the letter, spoke to the News-Capital from Missouri in April. “I just sent this letter as a private citizen,” he said. “Although I am an attorney and I am involved with several Christian legal groups, I believe that we are losing our American history. We are a Christian nation and we are losing the faith of our fathers. It is my belief that for all Americans and for new people coming in to America they need to recognize what our history is, what our culture is.”

Muslims and coloured people, this means you. Speak English, convert to Christianity, or get the hell out.

In April, McAlester Mayor Kevin Priddle told the News-Capital that he agreed with the resolution on a personal level. “I believe the founding fathers true meaning was to ensure that the government wasn’t intruding on religion, not to keep God out of the government,” he said.

Seriously? Read about the debates they had on this particular issue. Fictitious patriarchal imaginings don't belong in secular governance.

The U.S. House of Representatives approved a bill after a sharp partisan debate on March 17. House Concurrent Resolution reaffirms the term “In God We Trust” as the nation’s official motto and encourages its public display in all public buildings, public schools, and government institutions.

What about E Pluribus Unum adopted 1782? A hell of a lot more inclusive, and doesn't require a religion-soaked Republican-controlled House to pass it. Certainly better than a religious slogan adopted in the 1950's as a response to "godless" communism.

JohnH
It would be nice to think that all this is about people on the defensive finding ways to protect their illusions. It is not. America is unfortunately a christian nation, perhaps the most so in the world. Its morays and politics are heavily driven by the christian church, not logic and thought and careful argument.

We are a fish swimming downstream to spawn. Particularly in places like Oklahoma.

Theory_Execution
Why dont they just make it simpler, and tattoo "In God we Trust" on all believers, and have the tax payer pay for a hand held mirror for each of them, then, where ever they go it is with them, and if they need reminding they only need bring their government issue mirror.... the backwards writing may confuse them too much though.

Bob of QF
Good idea, TE--

-- only tattoo it in mirror-image, so the sheep won't be all confused and shit.

I would suggest the tattoo go across their foreheads.

Of course, you might need to shave off a unibrow or three, to make room...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
I thought of that way round, Bob, but then thought, as with the upside down cross and upside down pentagram they will go around killing eachother for having god backwards so thought the right way....

... now that i give it more thought, maybe backwards is best.

Jump to Forum: