View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bluesman David 'Honey Boy' Edwards dead at 96
Skeeve
I saw a similar post on TR earlier, than ran across it again on Yahoo. He may be familiar to some of you, but I've never heard the name.

Grammy-winning Blues musician David "Honey Boy" Edwards, believed to be the oldest surviving Delta bluesman and whose roots stretched back to blues legend Robert Johnson, died early Monday in his Chicago home, his manager said. He was 96.

Edwards had a weak heart and his health seriously declined in May, when the guitarist had to cancel concerts scheduled through November, said his longtime manager, Michael Frank of Earwig Music Company.

From Yahoo News

I did like some of the stuff in this recorded interview from WBEZ, Chicago though:

catman
I never heard of him before either, but that was nice stuff. I do think blues can be fast, but I agree with him that sometimes it becomes primarily a display for guitar virtuosity. Nothing wrong with that, but it takes away from the blues feeling if it's too flashy. Edwards was the 'real thing'.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
I like this sound

catman
Yeah, I like that too.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
I've heard the name but that's about it. I agree with him though, blues is best when its kept simple.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
Dude had some snazzy threads, didn't he?

I really like the second video. I had never heard of Honey Boy until I saw that there is a documentary about him being shown on t.v., and in the last couple of days had seen in the headlines that he died, at such a ripe age. It seems he was performing up until very recently when he had to cancel engagements due to his health. WTG Honey Boy.

seeker
Honey Boy is a guy that influenced a lot of guitarists. I've seen his name mentioned as an influence by guys like Keith Richard, Eric Clapton etc. I don't know much about him beyond that.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: