View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Court allows ACLU wiretapping challenge to proceed
Skeeve
Looks like it will at least move forward

In September 2011, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit denied the government's request that all of the court's judges rehear a lawsuit filed by the ACLU challenging the FISA Amendments Act (FAA), a law that gives the executive branch virtually unchecked power to collect Americans' international emails and telephone calls. The denial of rehearing allows the ACLU's lawsuit to proceed, upholding an unanimous March 2011 ruling by a three-judge panel that the plaintiffs have the right to challenge the constitutionality of the law.

More at the ACLU website
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
I don't have high hopes for this lawsuit in the current conservative climate.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
I have found it disturbing how readily Obama has defended some of the worst civil rights invasions of W. Obama must certainly enjoy the executive power that W. carved out because he certainly defends it. I am not going to try to go through all of them but this is one of several cases where the executive order for a certainty or a law as a possibility would die if Obama did not defend it.

Why has Guantanamo not closed.

Bob of QF
Yes, on both complaints JohnH--

-- I am so disappointed; I expected better.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
You are all fools, can you really expect anything other than disapointment from politicians?

They are either thorough bastards willing to do anything, half decent people who look to make sacrafices for a greater good or half decent people who push for what they think is right and get weeded out very early on or shot.

The system of government lends itself to corruption.

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:

The system of government lends itself to corruption.

Of course is does-- but. I'm an elitist with regards to intelligence; I optimistically hope that an intelligent politician will do a better job than a super-stupid one (Bush 2, Reagan) or an average one (Bush 1, Clinton).

seeker
Well said Bob.

I tend to think that when a politician says that government doesn't work that what they really mean is that they don't want it to work.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar, so he was above average in intelligence. Unfortunately, he didn't always use it.

Theory_Execution
There are also different types of intelligence. There were people at my university who could remember all sorts of things, getting top marks in exams, but when it came to applying that knowledge, they fell flat - they struggled to draw connections.

I would generally agree that more intelligence in government is a good thing though.

Bob of QF
Thanks, Catman-- I had forgotten that one.

catman
It was easy enough to forget, considering some of Clinton's ill-considered behavior and decisions. Wink

Jump to Forum: