View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Right-Wing email
catman
Wasn't the "Final Solution" decided upon at the Wannsee Conference in January 1942? Germany was still in the ascendant at that time. They had been turned back at Moscow, but Stalingrad was a year away, and the USA was dismissed by Hitler as nothing to worry about (since we had jazz and were mongrels).
Edited by catman on 11/28/2008 22:58
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
You may be correct. I'm basing my story on two things: some photocopies of some correspondence between one of the (soon to be) death camps, then called "holding camps" and central government in Germany, and a History Channel special about the same subject.

That is, the show, and the holocaust display, had some circumstantial evidence that it started out of simple overcrowding in one of the "holding" camps and escalated from there.

That it eventually became "offical policy" I've no doubt, that seems to be the case.

But the show I saw, seemed to show evidence that it was callous disregard that started the whole.

Damn, I wish I remember the name of the show.... it was several years ago.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I was of the opinion that the decision was ideological, not a result of overcrowding. Probably both entered into it. The Nazis didn't sem to worry much about overcrowding once they built the extermination capms like Auschwitz. Before that, they might have felt overcrowding was an issue. The mass murder at Babi Yar in Russia was in September 1941, but there they used machine guns to murder Soviet POWs and gypsies. They killed 33,000 there initially and over 100,000 during WW2. (I just looked it up.)
Edited by catman on 11/28/2008 23:24
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Yeah, they were not all that concerned one way or another, it seems.

And that was my point, I think: callous disregard for the humanity of the Jews.

I'll see if I can dig up some additional info on it.

catman
I edited my last entry to add info about an early massacre. The Jews, Slavs and Gypsies were all subhumans according to them, not deserving of consideration as anything more than vermin.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
I edited my last entry to add info about an early massacre. The Jews, Slavs and Gypsies were all subhumans according to them, not deserving of consideration as anything more than vermin.

In this we are totally in agreement: they did not hate those they considered "not human".

They just plain did not care what happened to them, is all.

Which is worse, to me.

seeker
I think they hated them, they just didn't make that the overt center of their policy. The disregard had a lot more to do with making the whole affair impersonal to mask guilt, at that's my opinion.

catman
Oh, I think they cared what happened to them, but I'm not sure hate is the operative word. It was analogous to spraying insects; you don't have to hate them, you just want to get rid of them. Hideous but true.

Jump to Forum: