View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » YouTube
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Video: 12,225 miles in 5 minutes
Bob of QF
This is one of the coolest time-lapse videos I have ever seen in a great long while.

This is amazing.

From the description:
Roadtrip Timelapse / Drivelapse video from my 12,225 mile cross country roadtrip around the USA from August 2011 - October 2011 compressed into 5 minutes.

It's a round trip in a great circle of the USA. Enjoy. Hint-- if you hate the music? Mute, and watch the video... it's kinda hypnotic.

First saw it here:

http://thechive.com/2011/11/11/12225-mile-road-trip-time-lapse-video/

Okay, that won't post as a video... so... google on YouTube... after many false starts, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-juyvIWMQ

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
The music was inoffensive. You're right, it's "kinda hypnotic"!

Nice find!

Skeeve
Thanks, Bob! I saw this mentioned and linked while surfing at work, but didn't have time to watch. Once I was home, I couldn't remember where I saw it.

I should try this next time I run over to Kentucky. It would take about 14 AA batteries for a one-way trip. Smile
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
Thanks for the great road trip Bob.

I thought the beat of the music matched well with the video.

seeker
Are we there yet?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:

Thanks, Bob! I saw this mentioned and linked while surfing at work, but didn't have time to watch. Once I was home, I couldn't remember where I saw it.

I should try this next time I run over to Kentucky. It would take about 14 AA batteries for a one-way trip. Smile

Yeah, after seeing that, I've given it quite a bit of thought-- do you record it using an HD video, then eliminate frames to create time-lapse?

Or do you use a programmable still camera, taking a shot every 2 or 3 minutes? To make it work, you'd need to duplicate that shot several times, then move to the next one--duplicate, then move etc.

I'd think it'd be easier to start with an HD video, and cut it back, than to extend a still frame camera's output. Small size HD digital video cameras are easy to get, and relatively inexpensive. Some would let you connect to a laptop with a really large hard drive, for hours of footage.

That way, you can 'dwell' on a poignant or identification scene, by keeping more frames.

It'd be a fun project either way.

Skeeve
It looks like they used continuous HD recording, editing out large repetitious portions and speeding up the playback. Windows Movie Maker can do all these things.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
Some great sights there, I should do it one day.

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:

It looks like they used continuous HD recording, editing out large repetitious portions and speeding up the playback. Windows Movie Maker can do all these things.

That's rather what I had guessed-- it was too smooth to be a stop-motion film from a series of stills.

On the other hand, that method would be much easier in terms of storage.... using a laptop and software that sends a timed snap to the camera..... to make it even better, have the software send 100 impulses, each 1/2 second apart, for a short segment of motion-video.

Then compile all of these segments into one video. I may have to see if that's even possible, without writing my own software.

I'll let you know.

Jump to Forum: