View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New AtheistsToday Articles by Members
Skeeve
The Endtimes have "been here" dozens of times, maybe more for more violence prone societies.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
I have an article up called "Waiting for the Rapture", Skeeve, that lists a whole bunch of failed end-of-the-world prophesies by some nutty cults. You'll find it here: http://atheiststo...ticle_id=4

Cheers. Neil

Doubting Thomas
Neil's article is excellent and one reason I will never fear anyone predicting that the end times are here or near. I'd just chalk it up to yet another failed guess by someone who has something to gain from scaring the crap out of gullible people.

You know, though, it is kind of funny listening to Christians talk about how the end times are here because so much that has been prophecied in the bible is coming true, you know, like nations rising up against nations, earthquakes, famines, floods, and plagues. I'm sure when AIDS was discovered they thought it was yet another sign of the apocalypse.

And yet, if they'd only read their bibles, Jesus stated that noone will know when it will occur. But yet they persist in trying to be prophetic.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Cynic
That, and they talk about those things as if war, earthquakes, famine, floods, and plagues weren't always with us.

neilmarr
What's so disturbing, though, is that Fundies actualy relish the disasters. They're looking forward to the end of the world as though it's something to be happy about ... and without a thought for unborn generations.

This is the most disturbing thing of all: that we're again facing the very real danger of Fundamentalist world rulers in the White House (especially Palin), thinking everything's cut and dried ... why do anything for the future of the planet when time will end with the current generation?

As an unspeakably arrogant Sun King of France once said (one of the late Louises): "Apres moi -- la deluge!" After me, I don't care what happens next.

Neil

Doubting Thomas
Exactly. They were known to the ancient authors of the bible, and they'll be around for centuries to come.

neilmarr
I guess, DT, the poor in spirit are always with us. These ego-0driven maniacs say atheists have no purpose in wife. What!? Some purpose is praying for the end of the world and the end of future. These people defy all their empty claims to love and hope. Their outlook is as shallow and self-centred as the aforemenioned Sun King. He was executed. There was no deluge after his head rolled into the basket where it belonged. Neil

neilmarr
Just posted an article called 'Always God for a Laugh' in the 'religion' section of 'articles'. If anyone wants a wee chuckle, it's at: http://atheiststo...cle_id=12.

By the way, Skeeve, admin and mods, more articles have been posted at AtheistsToday already than were ever put up at Atheists.com. I think there's a good case (this thread is already running to three pages) for a MEMBERS' ARTICLES sticky thread in he 'Interesting Articles, videos ...' section of the site to encourage more, to centralise authiors' notifications and to consolidate comment.

Any chance of moving this thread to there?

Cheers. Neil

Edited just to make the li live. N
Edited by neilmarr on 09/25/2008 10:16

Skeeve
Moved and sticky'd....I think though that we should move the forum to General and out of Science. Any agree?

neilmarr
Great stuff, Skeeve. Let's hope it encourages writing and reading of member-generated essays and stories. Many thanks. Neil

catman
Skeeve: The move sounds like a good idea to me.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
Skeeve: Makes sense to me

Sinny
Ya Skeeve it has been around for a long time. I think it's due to different reasons. Such as the preachers looking for new ways to get more money. Every so many years the end times scenario is revived and they make boat loads of money off it. Fear of war and usually it's almost every time America is in a war. Also fear of plagues such as what DT brough up about aides. I bet they thought the same thing when the black plague was around. There are always going to be drama junkies hungry for the story, the drama.

One thing I recently thought of was after watching a program where a test was performed on willing particpants. I think it was titled "alone" the subjects were placed in a dark room, I think for 48 hours, some with their eyes covered the whole while wearing headphones with static on all the time. They had to put their minds somplace else in order to not go crazy. One woman slept the whole time. Another quicly showed signs of nervousness at first. Anyway it got me thinking about how people who aren't happy with their lives, work in dead end jobs, bored or who have given up on setting goals in their lives. That is another reason they become drama junkies and the end times stories with predictions that make them feel/think they know a hidden secret with having great knowledge. They need to put their minds on something else to get away from reality yet they twist reality with the drama of the story. I know it's basically in your face when they preach it. It seems they are doing this for the same reasons the subjects in that program did when they had to place their minds somewhere else to stay sane. It's hard for me to explain exactly what I'm trying to say but I really think this is another reason they become addicted to believing this crap.

Doubting Thomas
Yes, people love to use religion as a crutch. That's why I'm afraid to think of economic collapse, because any hard times brings on resurgence of religion. When you have evangelists running around telling people that all they have to do is pray to make things better and hope for a better life after they're dead, of course they're going to cling to it.

Skeeve
New articles from Kowboy and DoubtingThomas are posted under Politics and Humor. Apologies for the Humor article, it didn't format correctly, so there are no paragraphs. I'll try to fix it later when I have more time.

*edit: Ok, fixed the article from Kowboy.(actually the article was fine, the "snippet" was the problem, as it included the entire article. Wink )
Edited by Skeeve on 01/09/2010 12:31

Jump to Forum: