View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Adopt An Atheist
Skeeve
Bill Donohue being an ass again.

Approximately 80 percent of Americans are Christian, and 96 percent celebrate Christmas. Of the 20 percent who are not Christian, non-believers make up the largest segment, though the number of self-identified atheists is tiny. David Silverman, president of American Atheists, knows this to be true, which is why he is frantically trying to inflate his base. "We want people to realize that there may be atheists in their family," he told the New York Times, "even if those atheists don't even know they are atheists."

We think there is some merit in David's idea, even if he has things backwards, as usual. Today we are launching our "Adopt An Atheist" campaign, the predicate of which is, "We want atheists to realize that there may be Christians in their community, even if those Christians don't even know they are Christian."

http://www.standa...66825.html
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
Im up for this! I could do with saving 300 on rent every month, and the 200 plus on food would be better served in my bank account.

Will my adopted parents be buying me clothing too?

Bob of QF
I can fully accept the notion that many folk are not aware of being atheists

I mean--- think about this statement:

"I don't believe in god, but I'm not an atheist for sure."

Due to the strawman definition of 'atheist' put out there by theists, this statement is not as ridiculous as it may first appear.

But.

Since atheism is essentially the default state; a passive, no-faith state of mind? It is easy to see how a person could be one without realizing it.

In direct contrast to any flavor of theism, which requires a positive mental activity: belief in some sort of god or gods.

Moreover, specific subsets of theism, such as christianity, require specific sets of beliefs to qualify (according to their sole justification, their "rule" book, of course. There really is no deity to enforce these rules, obviously).

So it would be impossible for a person to be a 'christian' and not realize it.

A really nice person? Who was somewhat deist in outlook? Sure. I'll buy that one.

But an unknowing christian? Impossible. Unless they were suffering from too many lessons of 'hitting yourself on the head" class....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I was an atheist for some time without realizing it, since I had the wrong definition for it in mind. But I agree with Bob of QF that it isn't possible to be a Christian without realizing it. It is, however, possible to be a Christian without realizing how shaky the foundation of the faith is.

Hypatia
I'm in agreement with Cat and Bob of QF's consensus that one knows whether they hold christian beliefs or not. But for me, even though I was derailed by extensive indoctrination for a long time, something in me knew that wasn't my natural, organic state and that was what was always evolving in me and leading me to discover that what I really am is an atheist.

catman
I agree. Except for the weird time in my life when I converted to Catholicism, I always wondered why god-belief was so different from everything else that was respected.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: