View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hi! I'm new here!
amandaatheist
And I as well!

Theory_Execution
One of my favourite TV shows is based in Austin Texas, do you all watch? Im living in the UK myself.

amandaatheist
What is the TV show called?

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:

One of my favourite TV shows is based in Austin Texas, do you all watch? Im living in the UK myself.

Is it Austin City Limits, by any chance, the show featuring different musicians and bands each episode?

Theory_Execution
Its the Atheist Experience put on by the Atheist Community of Austin.

It's on a public access channel and after the show (Sunday mid-day I think) the cast/crew and anyone who wishes to go to some restaurant they announce on the show for a meal and chat.

amandaatheist
Oh yeah! I watch The Atheist Experience from time to time but I usually watch them on YouTube.

Hypatia
amandaatheist wrote:

Oh yeah! I watch The Atheist Experience from time to time but I usually watch them on YouTube.

Ditto.

Theory_Execution
Have either of you popped along to the after show? I wouldn't mind going to get a the scale of each of them correct in my mind. People look bigger on TV I find.

amandaatheist
I would If I lived in Austin, I live too far away!

Theory_Execution
Come now, America can't be that big - it was only a handfull of Brits, Spaniards and French that went over there - they killed off the locals. Id say five million people now AT MAX.

catman
Unfortunately, there are more than five million in the DFW Metromess.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

amandaatheist
LOL!

cheshiredragon
Yes, cat...it is a mess here. :/ Even out here more toward the sticks it is awful. Just glad it is not like San Francisco or Los Angeles. Rush hour is about 5hrs.
That's right, I said it...

Theory_Execution
An author called Will Self has a few words about this globalization we have, it has broken down the distance between us but left our bodies uninvolved as a result.

Have a watch of his talk to the google team.http://www.youtub...VEgOiB7Bo8

JohnH
cheshiredragon, I have lived essentially my whole life within 20-25 miles of downtown San Francisco. Yes some of the commutes can be ugly, say out to the Livermore valley, or all the way to Sonoma Co. but for the most part it is not bad particularly if you can use public transit.

The physical beauty of the area and the social benefits make up for most of the difficulties.

Los Angeles on the other hand should be bombed into oblivion, similarly Dallas but I would give some of you warning.

amandaatheist
OK, Everyone! I have a question for y'all. When did y'all become atheist and why? Just curious to hear other peoples stories!

cheshiredragon
There is another thread where I asked this about a month ago...I can't seem to find it though :/ If anyone else does then please post it. It was in the middle of a thread so might be hard to find.

Since I can't find it I will explain my story. I was born an atheist. It is really that simple. I was never drug to a church, brainwashed and then realized it was BS. I didn't even know who or what this Jesus fellow was until I was about 15 or so. When someone finally explained it all to me I sneezed and realized I was allergic to BS. That's about it.

A funny side to the story is that my family did celebrate Christian holidays like Xmas, Easter, etc. Of course Xmas wasn't about the birth of Christ and Easter was not about the death and resurrection.
That's right, I said it...

amandaatheist
I became an atheist because I didn't see fact in the Bible, nor did I see the point of a god. I was raised Christian but I saw flaws in the religion at a young age. When I would ask a question about god that questioned him I would be told to be quiet and quite thinking so much... When I left home at 18 I finally found out who I was and what I believed and didn't believe... At 19 I finally said to myself "I'm an atheist". I've never looked back. I'm 23 now and probably more happy then those who believe in a higher power.

catman
'Quit thinking so much' reminds me of the saying, "If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church." You beat me by three years...I was an agnostic atheist by age 22, and have remained so for 43 years.

Hypatia
amandaatheist wrote:

OK, Everyone! I have a question for y'all. When did y'all become atheist and why? Just curious to hear other peoples stories!

From the time I was born I was taken to two churches - Church of Christ on my mother's side and the one where most of my church time was spent (Sunday morning, Sunday night, vacation babble school, church camp, ad nauseum), and southern Baptist on my dad's side. My dad later changed to Church of God International, which (from the little I've heard about it) seemed even stranger than the other two, to me. By then I was grown though so I never had to be bothered with that one.

From the time I was young there were things I wondered about, and would try to ask about, but questioning was something that upset my handlers very much and would always involve loud voices and tears. Sometime around my mid-teens the things I had wondered about were turning into definite doubts and I was wanting to check out other religions and churches. I had friends that were Catholic and Jewish and Quakers and I was curious about what they were taught and what they did in their churches. That really upset the grown-ups and they issued a very quick and stern, 'NO! You WILL NOT!'. I was informed that I was a member of THE correct religion and church and warned that to question that, much less to deviate from it, would come with a steep price tag for defying and betraying god and my family. And they were completely serious.

As I progressed through all those stages of doubt and realization those problems continued. They would elevate anytime they realized a new stage in my evolution to atheism - not going to church anymore, avoiding conversations with them about it and anything regarding religion, etc. Even through my adult life and after coming out as atheist they would try to get me to comply and then caused me grief when I wouldn't. But I always felt I had to be true to myself, and I was. Most of the ultra-religious family members are gone now and I took the wind out of the sails of the ones who are still alive a long time ago.

So it was because of the church going and babble (bible) study that led me from blind belief to questioning to rejection, and then watching people live their lives supposedly based on that bunk made my newfound way of looking at things stick - and even all that pressure couldn't make their way stick. They had nothing to back it up with, and so far no one else has been able to either.

Jump to Forum: