View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Do the Head Believers Believe?
neilmarr
Here you go, Cat. The first version of a commandments in this list is from the Catholics' bible (RC), the second from the King James Version (KJV).

First Commandment

(RC) I, the LORD, am your God...You shall not have other gods besides me.

(KJV) I am the LORD thy God...Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Second Commandment

(RC) You shall not take the name of the LORD, your God, in vain.

(KJV) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.

Third Commandment

(RC) Remember to keep holy the sabbath day.

(KJV) Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.

Fourth Commandment

(RC) Honor your father and your mother.

(KJV) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Fifth Commandment

(RC) You shall not kill.

(KJV) Honor thy father and thy mother.

Sixth Commandment

(RC) You shall not commit adultery.

(KJV) Thou shalt not kill.

Seventh Commandment

(RC) You shall not steal.

(KJV) Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Eighth Commandment

(RC) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

(KJV) Thou shalt not steal.

Ninth Commandment

(RC) You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

(KJV) Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Tenth Commandment

(RC) You shall not covet your neighbor's house.

(KJV) Thou shalt not covet.

You can clearly see how the Roman Catholic Church authorised a version of the Commandments drops the second commandment entirely (for the reasons you suggest, Cat), takes the rest out of order, and then splits the tenth commandment into two to make up the traditional round number.

Cheers. Neil

catman
Ah, I see. Thanks, Neil, for the clarity of the presentation! The commandments aren't really out of order, though, just advanced by one in the RC bible due to #2 being left out; then, they had to split the last one in two to make up for it. I'm so very glad that I don't have to worry about this stuff as if it were real.;meowy;
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Any of the mods/admin know what happened to our Abraham's Cult section here? I know it was empty, but I'm pretty sure it would get lively soon if it were to be left open. For instance, I'd like to know the estimated number of 'orthodox' Jews in the US because it is said that they are hugely outnumbered by atheists and, therefore, have disproportionate representation as a lobby. Cheers. Neil

seeker
Good question Neil, I wonder why it didn't survive the move?

neilmarr
It's been restored now, Seeker, and we also have a place to discuss the Madness of Mormon as a bonus. Neil

Jump to Forum: