Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Science
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Opinions on article.
Max
Hello all, hope you're doing well. I was directed to this site and was curious what the scientifically literate here would think of it. I don't really see the point this article is making other than "nothing is proven yet, more research required."

http://www.cosmol...ement.org/

Max
Well I investigated it a bit more, and it seems to be from a competing school of cosmology that uses something called "plasma cosmology" instead of the big bang for the birth of the universe. Anybody well versed in science care to explain the merits or lack-there of about this theory?

JDHURF
You are right. That was an article trying to get funding for plasma cosmology. Nobody pays any attention to plasma cosmology. For one, it contradicts Einsteinís theory of General Relativity. Thatís just no good. Itís also not good that there is very little detail to the theory and it makes very few predictions.

The main argument found in that article and in plasma cosmology generally is that inflation and the cosmic radiation background are inconsistent within the Big Bang theory. This has been refuted and, ironically, plasma cosmology does not even predict the existence of the cosmic microwave background (which indisputably exists) and would necessitate excessive x-rays and gamma rays beyond what is seen to exist. Jim Peebles, a theoretical cosmologist, writes that ďthere is no way that the results can be consistent with the isotropy of the cosmic microwave background radiation and X-ray backgrounds.Ē

I wouldn't waste my time with plasma cosmology if I were you. I would recommend, if you want to read some interesting articles about the cosmos, that you review Edward Witten's work with superstring theory. Very fascinating.
Edited by JDHURF on 12/16/2011 06:18
[img]http://www.atheists.org/images/headerLogo.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

Theory_Execution
The following is something that grips a lot of scientists:

What is more, the big bang theory can boast of no quantitative predictions that have subsequently been validated by observation.

This is true, for the fact that if the Big Bang did occur, and our understanding is correct, it is not a repeatable experiment we can ever conduct.

However, the HBB does make predictions - for instance, at one point in the inflation, space itself would have expanded faster than the speed of light. If gravitation acts at the speed of light we should be able to observe gravitational waves in the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation - this study is something I worked on for a very short time in university.

It is also interesting to look at the signatories, very few from the big UK physics universities (one retired guy from Manchester, a student from Cambridge, noone from Oxford). I trust many have signed on because it is simply a ball-ache to get any sort of funding for any sort of scientific study.

Jump to Forum: