View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Chris Hitchens Gone
Hypatia
Damn it. He's gone.

http://usnews.msn...dies-at-62

Christopher Hitchens, the author, essayist and polemicist who waged verbal and occasional physical battle on behalf of causes on the left and right and wrote the provocative best-seller "God is Not Great," died Thursday night after a long battle with cancer. He was 62.

Hitchens' death was announced in a statement from Conde Nast, publisher of Vanity Fair magazine. The statement says he died Thursday night at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston of pneumonia, a complication of his esophageal cancer.

"There will never be another like Christopher. A man of ferocious intellect, who was as vibrant on the page as he was at the bar," said Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter. "Those who read him felt they knew him, and those who knew him were profoundly fortunate souls."

Merged on 12/16/2011 08:08:
From Richard Dawkin's website:

In memoriam:

http://richarddaw...-1949-2011

Obits:

http://richarddaw...obituaries
Edited by Hypatia on 12/16/2011 10:09

Bob of QF
He died as he lived-- telling the unvarnished truth.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

cheshiredragon
Indeed, Bob. I was watching some of his more recent interviews this last week and he looked bad, but was still fighting the good fight.

If I can find or remember the video, there was one quote I liked that he responded to the interviewer with sarcasm, "How do you think I am feeling? I'm dying!"
That's right, I said it...

JohnH
I honestly found Hitchens a pompous product of english public schools. He would often make excellent arguments on religion in a fashion that could allow believers to dismiss them.

His views for example on muslims were particularly venal and betrayed a lingering connection to the christianity that he grew up around.

I could agree with much of what he said about religion but I hated the superior tone in which it was delivered.

cheshiredragon
While he was a pompous ass quite often, think about the way the Christians spoke. The only difference was they both portrayed their side of the story. Christians did the same thing only in their happier, holier-than-thou attitude.

JohnH
Reading his bios he came from a somewhat humble background before attending Oxford. I rest my case, he was allowed to enter the elite of British intellectual society and it went to his head.

My father was a foreman mechanic and I have an engineering degree from a prestigious university. I wear work shirts mostly and I do not pretend I am an important person.

I will accept that he was an excellent writer, I know excellent writers who are not so full of themselves.

If we allow the upper classes or pretenders to the upper classes to provide our voice all of us fail.

catman
I read his Memoir and he did come across as a pompous ass, but God is Not Great was wonderful. He did have a way of sticking it to the theists, particularly Muslims. I don't think he was especially hard on them due to a "lingering connection" to Christianity, but rather because the Muslim theocracies are so outspokenly fundamentalist and antithetical to any freethinking. Not to mention the knuckling under to Sharia law in Britain.

Skeeve
Rick Warren is a dick.

@RickWarren

My friend Christopher Hitchens has died. I loved & prayed for him constantly & grieve his loss. He knows the Truth now.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

cheshiredragon
Do you know what this freakishly reminds me of? Carl Sagan's death..Age 62 by pnumonia because of a complication with the primary illness.

derF
He said one of his regrets was not being able to read some nice things being written about him, finally. Even if it were in the obituaries.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: