View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
 Print Thread
The Brill Building
JohnH
Those of you are of a certain age know what I am referring to. I will forever love Carol King.

catman
Likewise...note that she spells her name Carole. Although it is true that Neil Sedaka's song which was allegedly about her, Oh, Carol, left off the final e. Perhaps he wanted it to be more universally applicable to potential buyers by using the more common spelling.

seeker
She was a remarkable songwriter. Just her ability to stand out during an era of great songwriters is worthy of notice.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
Oddly enough checking her bio on wiki, she added the e. I think I read that last night as she dropped the e, oh well.

Tapestry which is the only album I have that is exclusively her singing (I think I also have an album where she signs with a group but I could not find that) was the best selling album of all time until Thriller.

catman
I have the Wrap Around Joy album. I bought it for the song Jazzman, which is one of my favorite songs of all time. Tom Scott plays soprano sax on it. It was featured in a Simpsons episode (remember "Bleeding Gums Murphy", a jazz saxophonist who was an inspiration to Lisa?).

She and Gerry Goffin wrote a bunch of great songs. Does anyone else remember what her first appearance on the Top 40 on a 45 single (as the artist) was? It was in the early 60s.
Edited by catman on 12/18/2011 03:39
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
catman - I'm pretty sure she wrote and sang on 'Loco-motion' probably either that or 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow'.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
seeker, I know it is not "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", not so sure about "Loco-motion" (a song I many years ago bought an entire album for). My memory is that it is a somewhat soppy love song, but that is the best I can do.

catman
It was called It Might As Well Rain Until September. It's pretty obscure, reaching #22 on the 'Billboard Hot 100' in 1962.

The Locomotion was performed by Little Eva, who was Carole King's babysitter (and by Grand Funk Railroad about 12 years later)! Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow was a hit for The Shirelles. Both songs were composed by Goffin & King, so you get partial credit, seeker!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

JohnH
Thank you catman I was going to say it was "It Might as Well Rain Until September" but I did not remember for sure and got puritanical about looking it up.

Jump to Forum: