View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » European Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cameron calls for return to Christian values
Skeeve
So, the King James Bible turns 400, and Cameron makes a speech in which he states, "Britain is a Christian country and we should not be afraid to say so."

Did this surprise anyone in the UK?

Cameron told Church of England clergy gathered in Oxford that a return to Christian values could counter the country's "moral collapse" and blamed a "passive tolerance" of immoral behaviour for this summer's riots, Islamic extremism, City excess and Westminster scandals.

His words will delight traditionalists in his party and Christian groups that claim believers are increasingly marginalised .

Cameron said there were three reasons why the King James Bible was as relevant today as any point in its history.

"First, the King James Bible has bequeathed a body of language that permeates every aspect of our culture and heritage. Second, just as our language and culture is steeped in the Bible, so too is our politics.

"Third, we are a Christian country. And we should not be afraid to say so. Let me be clear: I am not in any way saying that to have another faith or no faith is somehow wrong.

"I know and fully respect that many people in this country do not have a religion. And I am also incredibly proud that Britain is home to many different faith communities, who do so much to make our country stronger. But what I am saying is that the Bible has helped to give Britain a set of values and morals which make Britain what it is today."

Cameron added that while faith was neither a "necessary nor sufficient condition for morality" it could be a "helpful prod in the right direction".

Full article at The Guardian

From Authorized King James Version

James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its beliefs about an ordained clergy.

If true, that's quite a dishonest way to translate.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
Nope, because we are a Christian country, we have a state religion headed by our Monarchy through the Queen.

The content does sicken me though, but usual talk for a mind warped by religion.

catman
Cameron is a dildo (with apologies to other dildoes everywhere).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
Is he the huge 4ft Black one that would even frighten a horse or is he the 3in crooked White one with the hanky balls?

Sry, I couldn't resist...
That's right, I said it...

JohnH
Actually he is the 1.5 in. one that cannot vibrate.

Bob of QF
"Third, we are a Christian country. And we should not be afraid to say so. Let me be clear: I am not in any way saying that to have another faith or no faith is somehow wrong.

What I love is his close adherence to actual Biblical Principles, in the quote above.

Notice how he makes two claims in the first sentence, then contradicts these in the third claim?

Just like the bible does so very often.

.. meh

This is one of several reasons why studying the bible is not good for your thought processes-- unless, obviously, you do so with an open mind free from brainwashing (blind faith in it).
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
I do not trust people enough to have got to positions of power and influence, having been born into rich families, to actually believe what they say they do when it comes to religion.

To me it is just pandering to the majority.

Yet, sometimes it works in the opposite way, for instance, in America where the Jewish vote has a lot of sway, the politicians throw around this idea of Judeo-christian values.

seeker
Oddly enough i think a lot more of these people believe their rhetoric than you might think. The whole Judeo-Christian outlook, that some people are just 'favored by God' allows them to rationalize any behavior.

Believing is a good way for them to avoid those nagging feelings of guilt over the deaths they cause in wars or the poverty they create from ill thought out economic policies.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
I am not so sure, for the shit-kickers I would agree. But for those at the top, the leading edge I dont think they are capable of empathy.

catman
I think many of them really do believe the rhetoric. It is self-serving (since they are "favored by God"), so they have talked themselves into it. That certainly doesn't mean they are capable of empathy. They recognize the rights of those who share their views, but only those. They are Christian soldiers against people like me.

Jump to Forum: