View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Maher's Tebow Twitter
Hypatia
It seems Twitter is an effective way to PO a large number of people at one time. Hmmmm... [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/297.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

I agree with Bill Maher's criticism of Tebow's disgusting antics, and I seriously doubt he wasn't fully expecting the fallout.

http://msn.foxspo...ow-122711/

Skeeve
Looking for a non-Murdock link, brb.

Is this the story?

http://latimesblo...tweet.html

Bill Maher has run afoul of religious conservatives yet again, after a Christmas Eve tweet the comedian sent about overtly religious Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. Following a 40-14 Broncos' loss to the Buffalo Bills on Saturday, Maher tweeted, "Wow, Jesus just... #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler 'Hey, Buffalo's killing them'. (Adult language has been removed from the Tweet.)

I say, "Meh." Wink
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JohnH
Unfortunately I am an american football fan (that was for you TE). I have decided over time to not think that the players I admire or whom I dislike should be judged by their off field behaviors but only on what they do on the field for the team they are playing for.

Tebow is a classic idiot savant, totally ignorant in most of life but he can play american football well.

One should be able to ignore these sports heroes but one has difficulty doing so.

There is a very large part of me that hopes Tim Tebow fails. Because, there is a part of me that recognizes the evil that will occur if he does not fail. I have trouble dealing with my love of sport for that reason.

Many people will ignore or dismiss sports because of the bad that participants do. I love sport so much that I ignore this. Not a good character trait.

catman
Tebow really is a good player. But I can hardly be a fan of his because of his Jesusing. In the college championship game, he had "John 3:16" emblazoned on the dark spots below his eyes which most players apply. He looked absolutely ridiculous, a walking billboard for his piety. I don't really care what a player's stance on religion is, but that was going too far. Roger Staubach was deeply religious, but he never did anything like that. I am particularly unhappy about it because the Broncos were one of my favorite teams. It's hard for me to root for them now.

Theory_Execution
Thanks JohnH, I detest soccer (thats for you) and dislike American football, because the first is over paid morons who spend half the time faking injuries and the latter is too stop-start to be entertaining for me.

Now rugby union, that has the physicallity of American football (without the padding and helmets) but with smoother gameplay.

Did this Tebow guy release an advert with his mother once, about if he had been aborted he would not have been such a good christian footballer?

Hypatia
Skeeve wrote:

Looking for a non-Murdock link, brb.

Is this the story?

http://latimesblo...tweet.html

Bill Maher has run afoul of religious conservatives yet again, after a Christmas Eve tweet the comedian sent about overtly religious Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. Following a 40-14 Broncos' loss to the Buffalo Bills on Saturday, Maher tweeted, "Wow, Jesus just... #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler 'Hey, Buffalo's killing them'. (Adult language has been removed from the Tweet.)

I say, "Meh." Wink

Heh - but of course. Oops. Wasn't paying attention.

Yes, that was the one.

I don't really care about a players personal life either, but I do think that when people do or say things in a public way that people may find controversial or worthy of some kind of ridicule they shouldn't wonder why when it happens.

Thanks JohnH, I detest soccer (thats for you) and dislike American football, because the first is over paid morons who spend half the time faking injuries and the latter is too stop-start to be entertaining for me.

Now rugby union, that has the physicallity of American football (without the padding and helmets) but with smoother gameplay.

Did this Tebow guy release an advert with his mother once, about if he had been aborted he would not have been such a good christian footballer?

Yes T_E, that was him.

seeker
Unfortunately I live in Denver and have had to watch this ridiculous Tebow nonsense up close.

What is really sad is that no one has really criticized Tebow for his overt religiosity. That perception is just the usual Christian persecution complex.

What he does get criticized for is a lack of skill at his position.

Maher's tweet is apropos though. Tebow is one of those guys who credits God when he wins so why shouldn't God get the blame for losses?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Bob of QF
Maher was spot-on, I'd say.

Smile

But feet-ball is rapidly becoming a religion in it's own right---

-- just give it a few more generations.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Skeeve
seeker wrote:

Tebow is one of those guys who credits God when he wins so why shouldn't God get the blame for losses?

Exactly. What did Tebow do to cause his god to ignore him?

Skeeve
Here's a good blog post, calling Tebow a hypocrite.

Why Jesus Would Call Tim Tebow A Hypocrite

This year, Tebow has captured endless headlines and publicity for his trademark habit of "Tebowing" (kneeling and praying) during key moments of football games. As a result, tens of millions of NFL viewers have repeatedly watched Tebow pray during football games.

It's difficult to imagine a more high-profile, public way of praying than "Tebowing." Tebow is not content with simple prayer in private. Instead he turns it into a "Hey, look-at-me!" public spectacle, before the television cameras.

Whatever one thinks of this spectacle, it's clear that Tebow is completely ignoring Christ's own words about how to pray. Once again: Jesus said when you pray, you should go into your room and close the door and pray in secret. To do otherwise, as Jesus notes, is to be an attention-seeking "hypocrite."

JohnH
Interesting, even atheists can justify their position by quoting the bible. Proves how human that document is.

Theory_Execution
Jesus said when you pray, you should go into your room and close the door and pray in secret. To do otherwise, as Jesus notes, is to be an attention-seeking "hypocrite."

This is what pointed out Catholicism to me as being wrong when I was still a believer, all the spectacle of gathering and making sure everyone saw you pray.

cheshiredragon
American Football and Jesus both suck...

Yet, I still watch the games and go to a Southern Baptist church. :boggle:
Of course, I will also be watching the Superbowl(46 this year?) along with my favorite soda and a 30$ sammich Grin

BtW, as far as this Tebow thing goes. I have no idea what team he plays for, but I think he is a QB, right? I have seen baseball players do it too. Now, I hate Baseball more than Football, BUT I do watch the World Series. Especially, this year because of the Rangers. If you watched you noticed that one guy from the Cardinals(he went to Dodgers for like 250M$, I think)...after his home run or a scoring run he would always look up and point both his index fingers up toward the sky and mouth some words.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 12/29/2011 16:38
That's right, I said it...

catman
Tebow is a QB for the Denver Broncos. I used to love to watch John Elway. I like American football a lot, but I like the college games even more than the pro games. I'll be watching the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants game this weekend to see if Tony Romo can play after injuring his hand last weekend. His hand swelled up terribly; it must have really hurt! The guy's a trouper, I'll give him that. If the Cowboys lose, their season is over.

Hypatia
Steelers!

That's all.

Carry on.

Smile

catman
I've had a soft spot in my heart for the NY Jets ever since Namath showed the NFC establishment that the AFC could play too. I also like the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars, but only because they are named after felids.

Skeeve
Have I mentioned that I couldn't give two shits about professional sports? Pfft

Jump to Forum: