Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Last member of 65,000-year-old tribe dies
Skeeve
I thought about posting this in Science, but Evolution just seemed more appropriate.

The last member of a 65,000-year-old tribe has died, taking one of the world's earliest languages to the grave.

Boa Sr, who died last week aged about 85, was the last native of the Andaman Islands who was fluent in Bo.

Named after the tribe, Bo is one of the 10 Great Andamanese languages, which are thought to date back to the pre-Neolithic period when the earliest humans walked out of Africa.

Read more: http://www.dailym...z1j6tkMGRj

Why am I so lacking in education that I wasn't aware of these types of tribes? 65,000 year history?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
There are thousands of tribes. You could hardly be aware of each one of them.

Theory_Execution
Most have survived this long precisely because few people know/knew of their existence.

Look at the destruction Europe wrought in the Americas and Australia, or closer to home England on the indigenous Irish.

You should be proud of the people that knew, and kept their mouths shut.

seeker
Well put TE.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Cynic
I, for one, call shenanigans on the claim that the tribe had a continuous 65,000 year history. My knowledge of any of this is zero, yet I still feel confident saying that cannot possibly be anywhere close to accurate.

Skeeve
Exactly my feelings, Cynic. I've never heard this claim before regarding any tribe.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
Well the quote you hear of a good few scholars is that 100,000 to 200,000 would be considered the range for the history of the modern human.

So to be a tribe distinct for the last third of that history would be impressive. Could it be too many zeros?

Cynic
Honestly, I could reduce it too 6,500 and I'd still doubt it. I'm not prepared to crunch the numbers, but an isolated, small population like that breeding over that kind of timespan (either number) would be severely inbred. If they had a genetic influx to prevent that, they'd have been known. The fundamental problem with most of your big conspiracy theories, after all, is the difficulty of keeping that kind of secret.

Theory_Execution
On a re-read of the article, I think they are refering to the oldest settled population in that specific place, as in, all their digging around has revealed some traces of habitation dating back 65,000 years - the culture/technology had changed very little and, although there was outside influence from other nations/peoples that influence hadn't really caught on.

But then it does list the disturbing outcomes of the outside influences - all for money no doubt.

Jump to Forum: